go away spammer

Author Topic: 80-type or 68-type?  (Read 2397 times)

Offline galannthegreatTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Blue-Lensed Blue LEDs?! What?! Impossible!!
80-type or 68-type?
« on: May 14, 2010, 09:51:19 AM »
I'm getting a little confused with an LCD I'm currently working with. The datasheet shows timing diagrams of 68-type and 80-type microcontrollers... I get that, but the question is; Are AVR's based off of 68-type or 80-type micrcontrollers?

Here is the datsheet: http://www.newhavendisplay.com/specs/NHD-12232WG-EYYH-VA.pdf
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:53:11 AM by galannthegreat »
Kurt

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
Re: 80-type or 68-type?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 10:15:31 AM »
I would say neither 68-type (motorola 68k) nor 80-type (intel 8086? not sure about this one).

Take the simplest one and see what happens. If it doesn't work, try adding delay to respect the timing diagram.

You can also look at the controller datasheet:
http://www.newhavendisplay.com/app_notes/SBN1661G.pdf

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »
Yea I've been looking at the controller datasheet for some days now, and I'll prolly end up trying out both timing diagrams. But it just seems so confusing, I wish they just had a generic timing diagram.
Kurt

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Two decades+ of Embedded Design
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 10:46:35 AM »
Yea I've been looking at the controller datasheet for some days now, and I'll prolly end up trying out both timing diagrams. But it just seems so confusing, I wish they just had a generic timing diagram.

That would apply of you are attaching the controller to the data bus, which is internal to the microcontroller (there are minor exceptions). Since you are dealing with a microcontroller and controlling the LCD through ports, then YOU have control over that port and the timing involved with those pins. The 80/68 distinction doesn't apply.

Offline narahari

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 08:40:37 AM »
I'm getting a little confused with an LCD I'm currently working with. The datasheet shows timing diagrams of 68-type and 80-type microcontrollers... I get that, but the question is; Are AVR's based off of 68-type or 80-type micrcontrollers?

Here is the datsheet: http://www.newhavendisplay.com/specs/NHD-12232WG-EYYH-VA.pdf
Hi

Iam also using the same LCD with host controller from MSP430 series from TI. I dint find any sample code for this LCD from NHD so i took  sample code of the other LCD modified and used for this LCD. The problem is what ever the control signals and the data sent is seen on the LCD pins when i debugg but the data is not displayed.

I have sent al the commands recommended by NHD.By using contrast Iam now able to see all the pixels dark. Iam neither able to see the data sent nor the there is no change in the pixels colour when i send all zeroes.

Please can u suggest where could be the problem for data not being displayed on the screen. From the timing diagram i understood that the min delay to be given is in nanosecs. But i gave  more delay, could this be a problem. Iam totally clueless. Iam not able to find the problem to think of the solution. Please help me in this.

thanks,
narahari.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 05:46:33 PM »
I am still trying to figure out, on my spare time, how to get commands working for this LCD. To be brutally honest, at this point I'd recommend, if possible, that you move on to a more well documented display as NHD has not given me any help with this display.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/710 is a good example of an LCD that I find easy to work with. There is also a serial enabled version, http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9351.

Hope this helps, I will still be tinkering with that display, but with the time it has been taking figuring it out it isn't on my priority list.
Kurt

Offline narahari

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 05:01:18 AM »
Dear Kurt,

Thank you for the reply. I have very basic question. When i switch on LCD and adjust the contrast Ican see all the pixels dark. but all of them disappear when i remove clock pin from the LCD. ithink tis is the right behaviour.

2. When i send a byte of data how will the character appear? the particular charcter will be displayed and rest all characters also will be highlighted?

3.When i send zero continously for 122 times then will all the pixels disappear?

Because Iam stuck up< Iam not able to see if the character is ent or not.

Get Your Ad Here