Author Topic: type of motion sensing camera help  (Read 1291 times)

Offline fire_birdTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
type of motion sensing camera help
« on: May 21, 2009, 09:15:48 PM »
i am making basically a automated paintball gun.  i have all the mechanics and people to do the programming but there is one thing i cant figure out.  I dont know what type of camera i need to detect specific movement so when it is sensed, the servos can move toward it.  i dont know if my idea would work but here it is: taking an original digital camera that is on a fixed position with a wide view lense.  when something bigger than however many pixels moves frame to frame then the programming will figure out the best possible rectangle around it then find the center of the rectangle for the servos to know where to move.

Like i said i have no idea if this will work.  If anyone has a better idea or easier one or how to improve mine if it works it will be extremely apriciated because i am at a stand still on this project right now.  Thank you for your time and help.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: type of motion sensing camera help
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:43:19 AM »
so, are you looking for a camera suggestion or how to set it up?
i would suggest a laptop type thing with some blog tracking algo running?

do you need it to go mayhem and shoot everything that moves or just specific targets?
Howdy

Offline fire_birdTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 04:13:26 PM »
i need to know what kind of camera and how to set it up.  I am going to have it directly connected to my laptop.  It needs to be able to sense something/anything that starts to move across the screen. thanks

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 04:19:12 PM »
well,
it obviously depends on your price range...
a more expensive camera will deliver better results...
im not too sure on software but you can look into roborealm if you're not keen on making your own.
to move the paintball gun you will need two servos for pan/tilt and to fire it
it may require another.
look into a series of boards called "widgets", they connect through a pc's usb port
and can control servos and other things.
Howdy

Get Your Ad Here