Author Topic: robot operating system?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline mrcw2Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
robot operating system?
« on: June 24, 2011, 05:55:10 AM »
Hi I am a not very good programmer and I don't know much about Linux so I use Mocroft windows 7 as my OS.  It does have some advantages I have used a computer motherboard and 30 Gig hardrive, two servos and wheels and six servos for a robotic arm and two webcams.  Has anybody else done this?

mrcw2

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: robot operating system?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 07:58:46 AM »
You need to give more detail for us to have any idea what you're talking about.  Are you trying to ask something about ROS?
I

Offline mrcw2Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:16:21 AM »
no not ROS.  I use c# and a sppeaker and stereo microphones (attached to webcams) and I'm looking at Prolog, Neural Networks and SQL to look at an object, compare it with a database of shapes and move accordingly or speak.  The movents are conrolled by the Neural Network.  At the moment I don't use any other sensors.

Has anybody even tried to make a robot like this? and if someone has did it work? What problems might I encounter in the future?

Offline garrettg84

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
  • Armchair Roboticist Extraordinaire
    • http://www.garrettgalloway.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:36:51 AM »
a 30 gig hdd? not a 300gb hdd?
-garrett

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 04:54:06 PM »
I think I have a rough idea of what you're attempted.  It's a fairly commonly approached problem, I think.  It's not one that I've been interested in tackling, so I don't know specific examples off-hand.

I'm pretty sure the biggest challenge is going to be the object recognition software, especially if you write it yourself.  This has been done before, and you might in fact look into ROS that I linked to.  I don't know much about ROS, but it may well include visualization code/framework/etc.

Also keep in mind that you will need to have additional hardware to interface the regular computer hardware with servos/sensors etc.
I

Get Your Ad Here

data_list