Author Topic: How do you guys record your own videos?  (Read 4065 times)

Offline CentaurTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
How do you guys record your own videos?
« on: March 19, 2008, 09:49:49 AM »
How do you guys record your own videos for tutorials and stuff?  Webcam?  Digital camera with good video capture?

I'm thinking of purchasing a webcam, but I don't like the idea that it would be tethered to my computer (it's a desktop). 
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction.  ~E.F. Schumacker

Offline hgordon

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 7
    • Surveyor Robotics Journal
Re: How do you guys record your own videos?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:03:37 AM »
If you own a Mac, just get a digital video camera with Firewire, and the process for transferring from camera to computer is extremely simple.  From there, you can do some basic editing and then upload the file to YouTube. 

If you don't have a Mac, you have my sympathy - the process then is anything but simple.  You can probably patch something together on a PC by adding a Firewire interface.  None of my Linux boxes have Firewire, so I don't know what the challenges there would be.

Surveyor Corporation
  www.surveyor.com

Offline ScorpIon

• Helpful? 0
  • Nobody said it was gonna be easy.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 10:09:06 AM »
Eh, it is extremely simple on Windows too. Just hook the camera up to the PC with USB and transfer the files to your harddrive. Well, that's what I've always done.

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 11:29:52 AM »
What I do is use a webcam and just record it using the software on the PC.

Then I just use Movie Maker to fix it up, add stuff, etc.
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline hgordon

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 7
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 11:32:31 AM »
Eh, it is extremely simple on Windows too. Just hook the camera up to the PC with USB and transfer the files to your harddrive. Well, that's what I've always done.
That's true if you have a still camera with video capability.  But is that also true for a true video camcorder ?  My video camera only has Firewire, optical and analog outputs.
Surveyor Corporation
  www.surveyor.com

Offline ScorpIon

• Helpful? 0
  • Nobody said it was gonna be easy.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 11:57:37 AM »
I need a special cable that connects to the little port on the camera that can be plugged in on the PC through USB. My video camera records to DVD-RW, so there it's easier.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 12:23:01 PM »
I use a Sony digital camera . . . got a 4GB card for it too. Takes just a few minutes to download all 4GB by USB2.

Make sure that whatever you get has low light capabilities - you will be filming your robots inside a lot. Most webcams suck for low light, so be careful before you buy.

Offline hgordon

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 7
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 01:14:18 PM »
Glad to hear that the newer video cameras with USB2.0 have good PC support.  I have an older Sony digital video camera with excellent picture quality, but it only supports Firewire, so capturing to a PC is a nightmare.
Surveyor Corporation
  www.surveyor.com

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 01:25:54 PM »
Yea my old Sony had a 2:1 transfer speed . . . an hour of video took ~30 min to transfer . . . my new cam would take like 3 min to transfer . . .

My last two dell laptops came with firewire, so if I needed it, it wouldn't have had a problem.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 03:44:05 PM »
A old good 1Mpixel camera from Creative... It's fine with me!!!
I use the Movie Maker, but there are many programs out there... Have a look!!!
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
i use my digicam in movie mode. even my camera from like 01 had video mode, but no sound.
and i use WMM
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline CentaurTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 09:43:22 PM »
I'm leaning towards a good digital camera that has video capture.  It works out well since I have no camera's at all (except for my cell phone).  I'm guessing the camera would be more expensive but also better video quality and more mobile than a webcam since I have a desktop, and better still pictures for documentation.

I was considering the webcam because I'm moving and it would make my gf happy.  I'll probably end up with both anyways.  I actually already have some video equipment like a video capture card (hgordon, you can use one of these to get video from analog outputs to your pc - dazzle dvc 80 ~$50) that I used back in my videogaming days to make montages.  Now I use it to turn VHS into DVD's. 

Something else I could consider as a factor, can you do image processing with webcams?  Like could I build a platform to track my face while I'm using a webcam?  Has anyone ever mounted a webcam (or digital camera i guess) to a robot and used it with image processing?  Or would that be rediculous since you would have to have the usb hookups and webcam software and stuff on your microcontroller.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction.  ~E.F. Schumacker

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 06:58:01 AM »
PC based webcam processing - http://roborealm.com
Microcontroller based webcam processing - I haven't seen direct USB webcam to MC processing but I have seen wireless USB webcam which sends info to PC which does processing and then sends processed data back to robot's MC.

Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Get Your Ad Here

data_list