Author Topic: Sampling Ethics  (Read 2572 times)

Offline bukowskiTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Sampling Ethics
« on: January 15, 2008, 10:37:44 AM »
As a purchasing manager for a industrial crane manufacturer, I occasionally come across companies that are willing to send our company sample products. The latest was Silicon Sensing Solutions in Japan. They are offering to send the company a couple CRS03 and CRS07 rate sensing gyro, ($299 list) and a evaluation board (list $500).

The thing is, the company will never have a use for these, nor will they ever do any testing with them. These would end up in my garage. I have no IMMEDIATE use for them, they would be useful when I eventually build a balance bot, but I expect it will be a year or two before I have the knowledge / experience to even begin this project.

A part of me really wants to say ship em, and Ill have a new gadget to tinker with, but it's not exactly honest, especially since I have no immediate need for them.

What would you do?

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
Re: Sampling Ethics
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 10:55:34 AM »
so i get really grumpy at people on the forum abusing the samples system, ordering samples of parts that they don't know what are or how to use.
they just order them because they think they can get something for nothing.
(you know who you are....)
there are a lot of students out there who need sample programs to do their research who actually use the parts as intended.

on the other hand, that's some tempting free swag you are being offered there...

i'd say, as long as you still intend to be in the same position in a year or two when you can actually use the parts, apply for them then.

dunk.

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 10:58:44 AM »
I would get them since what the company is doing is advertising .They are taking a risk , to try to make you buy their products. They understand there is risk involved . And now, because they offered you it you have the name Silicon Sensing Solutions in your head for their products and also you have even gotten Silicon Sensing Solutions some advertising by posting it right here.

Also, if a friend or colleague comes he'll want to know where you got it from, bam there is some extra advertising for them

I would do it, you end up benefiting each other, just be sure to give them credit if you show off the gyros and evaluation board to people.
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 01:33:40 PM »
yeah post some pictures here of them
Robots are awesome!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 11:05:47 AM »
Ask them when they are ending the promotion and just tell them you don't have an immediate use for the product. That way you can contact them when your situation changes.

They should be happy to send you one when you actually do want to try it out.

Also, the retail price is typically 3x to 5x higher than what it cost to make it.

Get Your Ad Here