Author Topic: Hack away!!!  (Read 5718 times)

Offline galannthegreatTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Blue-Lensed Blue LEDs?! What?! Impossible!!
Hack away!!!
« on: March 09, 2009, 08:39:22 PM »
I am just curious to know if anyone on this site hacks toys/gadgets for their bots (well, kinda obvious isn't it?), the thing I want to know is, what do "you" hack and what would you recommend as a good hack, just so people can save time and money on getting stuff to hack and then finding out that it was a total waste.

Thanks ;D
Kurt

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: Hack away!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:52:44 PM »
Generally a good hack is one that you have lying around the house so that you don't have to go out and buy things. Most hacks to get parts aren't productive if you have to go out and buy the product.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:57:20 PM »
Well I mean as you may see a cheap toy at walmart kind of thing, or something that is worth the cost vs the price of making by scratch.
Kurt

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
I dont think there really is any one thing or even any group of things. I think it comes down to an item by item basis. I guess any little cheap vehicle bodies from a toy store or something would be the best. Doesnt even have to me motorized already. That would be my opinion
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline madchimp

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 09:11:27 AM »
I don't think there really is any one thing or even any group of things. I think it comes down to an item by item basis.
I have to agree. When I'm out shopping with the wife I always stroll through the toy department looking for clearance stuff. If something catches my eye it has to pass certain criteria. It has to save me time, money or have something for me to learn from it versus just building something similar on my own. One project I'm working on right now- my triclops- saved me money. I bought it for around $40 and just similar wheels would cost $34 and with the triclops I have the wheels, drivetrain, and a few other goodies and possibly the electronics to drive the motors. More experiments need to be done to determine that. Awaiting release of further funding from the boss. (wife)

my original post about it
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=5513.0

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 10:41:47 AM »
Nice, thats what I was meaning. On another note I found a  SPY GEAR ATV TRACKER for $100 here: http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=RCSnowmobiles&product=6018755 Definately worth the money you'd spend on getting a full tank style drivetrain, CCD camera and an LCD and earpiece that tranmits data from the RC. I am wondering if with that camera would it be possible to do blob tracking? and actually seeing the data being seen by the camera on the LCD as the MCU will read the data?
Kurt

Offline madchimp

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:35:20 PM »
somewhere I read of someone taking one of those or something very similar and hacking the eye piece to get video out that would be pretty cool but willing to bet the video isn't the best.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 02:09:56 PM »
I'm just thinking along the lines of a simple camera for blob tracking and maybe using the eyepiece to see the blobs that the bot is seeing.
Kurt

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 03:06:05 PM »
The only useful thing is the eyepeice, I have one and they work great - but it isn't worth it to but a $90 toy for a cheap single eyepeice when you can get profressional ones for both eyes for $200.

The camera itself is cheap, maybe like $10. The expensive part with the cameras and etc are that they have supporting electronics that enable you to do blob tracking - and these toys don't have that.

Offline householdutensils

• Helpful? 2
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 03:11:54 PM »
I made an eyepeice out of a mini-crt I jacked from an old camcorder. I bought a bunch of broken ones for $20nzd and just took em apart, most of the crts take composite input so I tested them by watching old star trek movies on it <3

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 03:26:08 PM »
uhh you mean LCDs... a CRT is NOT mini in any way shape or form lol
Infantry

• Helpful? 2
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 07:30:57 PM »
uhh you mean LCDs... a CRT is NOT mini in any way shape or form lol

Nope, I mean Mini-CRT :D Before LCDs were cost effective, camcorders used monochrome (I think there were colour ones, but I don't have any) mini-crt viewfinders.

Here's a pic I found on the net:

I'm actually thinking about trying to build a pocket projector out of one of them.....well when i say pocket I mean smallish, but it'll still be pretty bulky xD

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:41:04 PM by householdutensils »

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 08:45:23 PM »
how the hell do you make that a portable eye piece lol, it would look like large night vision goggle lens haha
Infantry

• Helpful? 2
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 10:08:21 PM »
I'm of the school that it really doesn't matter what a device looks like until after you've got it working properly ;) And at $20nzd for 4 or 5 of these little bastards, it keeps research costs low :P

paulstreats

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 09:17:37 AM »
I tested them by watching old star trek movies on it <3

Did it make you feel like a BORG  ;D

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 12:57:09 PM »
Thanks Razor, that'll save me some money, but I've been asking a guy I know who works at the source and he says to just check in periodically baceause they may have one "broken" one that they'll be willing to give to me. :)
Kurt

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 01:05:32 PM »
I recommend you check out Tom Igoe's book..."Making Things Talk"

http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=0596510519&Redirected=Y

Tom is a well known hardware hacker.

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 02:28:43 PM »
lol! no doubt, utensil :) You should gimmie one or two :P ill give you 3 USD for each one :P
Infantry

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 02:37:34 PM »
Yeah, I'll order that book from my local bookstore when I go later today to pick up a book, thanks for that idea. ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 02:40:58 PM by galannthegreat »
Kurt

• Helpful? 2
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 04:24:05 PM »
lol! no doubt, utensil :) You should gimmie one or two :P ill give you 3 USD for each one :P

haha shipping something like that all the way the from NZ? You'd be better off buyng some camcorders offa ebay bro xD Plus you might get one with an lcd!!!

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 12:51:46 AM »
Nahhh NZ is practically right next door! Your only like 5,000 miles away :P You could probably throw it from your house to mine!  :D

I would really like to get my hands on something like that though. I do have an old cam corder just not so sure I wanna gut it just yet... hmm
Infantry

Get Your Ad Here