Author Topic: Creating a bot with stuff that i have lying around.  (Read 2888 times)

Offline wictroTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Creating a bot with stuff that i have lying around.
« on: February 03, 2009, 03:53:17 PM »
Hellos!

I just registered, as this community seems to be quite active.

I'm planning to build an autonymous bot (i haven't figured out yet what usefull thigs it could do :P)

I have lying around:

-webcam
-laptop
-home PC
-headsets with mic
-Texas TI-86 calculator
-some chargable screwdriwers
-roboQuad
-logitech cordless mouse and keyboard / receiver
-misc pile of cords, and that stuff
-old nokia Ncage QD (bluetooth and other communication possibilities)
-PC power-unit 350watt
-Kyosho RC buggy
-Traxxas Revo monster truck
-transmitters to both, with few crystals
-technics Legos
-my imagination
-time
-will
-lots of stuff that i cant remember out of the bat

I'm willing to tore apart most of these, NOT including the laptop and home PC (those are for programming and controlling etc)

Would you "pros" have any idea if i had most of needed things already to build a bot thats autonymous?

I would use the laptop/pc for external brains, and transfer data in both directions somehow

greets from chilly Finland,
.wic

Offline cooldog

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • be nice to nerds, one day they will be your boss
Re: Creating a bot with stuff that i have lying around.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
I'm planning to build an autonymous bot (i haven't figured out yet what usefull thigs it could do :P)

it would be better if you had an idea of what u want it to do

-webcam
-laptop
-Traxxas Revo monster truck

you could do color tracking and have it follow the color
robot will rule the world and i will be building them
-admin

favorite web sites
http://www.societyofrobots.com/
http://www.instructables.com/

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 04:52:42 PM »
Thanks for your reply!

I just might build AI on the RC cars!

But mostly im after a solution to get info trasferred both directions, to bot/from bot, so i can have the brains on my computer, and use "virtual"-components for the prosessor / AI

.wic

Offline deadfuture

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 06:45:15 PM »
I'm a bit of a newcomer at robots but could you tell me whats the first thing you do when getting started building your very own costom bot. And could show me a picture of what you made?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:12:26 PM »
I'm a bit of a newcomer at robots but could you tell me whats the first thing you do when getting started building your very own costom bot. And could show me a picture of what you made?

I have not started yet, but i think i'll start by making it mobile, and fit all needed sensors for it.

It would propably run on wheels, as they are a energy-efficient way for a bot to move, and easy to control.

for the sensors it should have some vision, maybe web cam with shape regocnition, or simple IR scanner for distance.

It should become fully autonymous, and make decisions by the situation it's currently in.

I haven't figured out it's purpose yet, but if i don't get any ideas, i'll make it a social bot, that uses text to speech, and communicates and answers questions based on the AI i would create.

My goal is to make a learning AI, so i dont have to hardcode every single word/sentence/situation.

I know it's a long shot, but i just wan't to code the AI, the bot it self could be anykind.

Other than that, i'd make a budged for how much i would spend on the Bot, and think what modules/gear would be needed to achieve my goal.

First think would be having a clear vision of what i'm about to build

I don't have that yet, but i could try to build the transmitters and receivers in the mean time, and make em so, that  could add features later.

greets,
wic

ps: im sleepy and drunk, its 05:15am here, sorry for rambling nonsence :D

Offline cooldog

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • be nice to nerds, one day they will be your boss
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:14:38 PM »

since your new i let you know a little secret.

your not supposed to ask querstions that aren't relevent to the starting post. you can always start your own thread.

but since i'm here you should start by desighning your robot,try using CAD sofware as well as what you want the robot to do
robot will rule the world and i will be building them
-admin

favorite web sites
http://www.societyofrobots.com/
http://www.instructables.com/

Offline SciTech02

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Life's but a green duck with soy sauce. -MegaHAL
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 01:17:32 AM »
If you're going to use a laptop as the "brains", I suggest you try Roborealm.  It is a software program that does vision processing (which can be much more than color tracking) and general robot controlling.  Roborealm can used as your main "robot" program on your laptop (all sensors and motors can be controlled using it).  Best part of all, you can download it for free.

Judging from you list, I would say you're ready to build a robot.  What you can learn, if you don't know already, is programming and electronics (soldering, etc.).  These are fundamental skills needed to successfully build a robot.
Check out the Evolution Robotics, ER1 robot, and ERSP Resource Page: http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/336

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 10:38:53 AM »
If you're going to use a laptop as the "brains", I suggest you try Roborealm.  It is a software program that does vision processing (which can be much more than color tracking) and general robot controlling.  Roborealm can used as your main "robot" program on your laptop (all sensors and motors can be controlled using it).  Best part of all, you can download it for free.

Judging from you list, I would say you're ready to build a robot.  What you can learn, if you don't know already, is programming and electronics (soldering, etc.).  These are fundamental skills needed to successfully build a robot.

Thanks!

That sounds like something i am looking for!

i would need to figure out how the communication would be done. Bluetooth would be good i'd guess, but a simple radio signal could be easier for me to figure out.

.w

Offline Tomas

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 03:47:56 PM »
how do you plan on controlling the servos and motors?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 04:10:24 PM »
how do you plan on controlling the servos and motors?

kind of like RC car, but the brain(coded in PC) decides what levers to pull.

.w

Get Your Ad Here