Author Topic: TI-84 robot controller  (Read 2988 times)

Offline galannthegreatTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Blue-Lensed Blue LEDs?! What?! Impossible!!
TI-84 robot controller
« on: January 29, 2009, 07:24:43 PM »
Does anyone here have any ideas on how the TI-84 can controller a bot with programs from the calc?(I choose this one over the 83 because of the built in USB controller)
Kurt

Offline SciTech02

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Life's but a green duck with soy sauce. -MegaHAL
Re: TI-84 robot controller
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:00:30 PM »
Interesting, shouldn't you be using a TI-84 calculator for school (or do you want it to take math classes for you).  :P ;D 8)

First of all, you need to find a way to connect outside electronics to the calculator (motors, servos, sensors, etc.) and find a way to send/receive data to/from them.  The USB port could be used, but that may be complicated.  The I/O port could also be used, but it seems like it could only work for only one attached electronic.  Other than that, there is no places to connect outside electronics directly to the calculator.  What you can do is use a "USB interface", such as a Phidget board.  Link: http://www.phidgets.com/ .  You could plug this to the USB port and then connect outside electronics to that interface.  The next part is sending/receiving data from the "Phidget" to the TI-84.  I have heard TI-BASIC is a fairly comprehensive language, so creating a script for the USB interface shouldn't be difficult.  After this is done, you're free to start making the 'bot do stuff.

I would suggest speaking to people more familiar to the TI-84's abilities; such as the official TI forums (or any other forum dedicated to modifying TI calculators).  Once you've mastered programming it and controlling outside electronics with it; come back and ask us about the "getting the bot to do stuff" part.
Check out the Evolution Robotics, ER1 robot, and ERSP Resource Page: http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/336

Offline galannthegreatTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Blue-Lensed Blue LEDs?! What?! Impossible!!
Re: TI-84 robot controller
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:16:41 PM »
that board definately looks like something that could control sensors and other hardware using 1 usb port. I also did some more research into manipulating this port, and by what the "experts" say you have to do this kind of thing in lower level languages, such as ASM, which i personally am not too keen on doing any ASM.

P.S.
Interesting, shouldn't you be using a TI-84 calculator for school (or do you want it to take math classes for you).

Yes that would be any ones dream... ah no math class... "Come hither robot! Come do my identities homework!"
Kurt