go away spammer

Author Topic: Airsoft Robot  (Read 2116 times)

Offline mourakueTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Airsoft Robot
« on: April 24, 2014, 05:47:47 PM »
Alright, so I want to build an airsoft robot.  I have the gun, a chassis in mind, and really just need help with everything from there.

The Supplies (I'm looking at or have):

-Airsoft Ares Amoeba M4 CCP AEG.  (Nice, light weight, and I already own it).

-Wiring, tamiya connectors, and motor connectors from Evike to modify the gun to hook up to the robot controller if   possible.

-Dagu Wild Thumper 6WD chassis with 75:1 motors (want more torque)

-3D printing mounting hardware to mount gun onto robot.

-XBOX 360 controller to connect to the robot controller via bluetooth

-BlueSMiRF Silver - Bluetooth Modem

Basically I was wondering what kind of servos, robot controller, motor controllers, batteries, etc. I need to complete the build.  The only thing I own is the gun, xbox controller, and printer, so everything else is up in the air.  I have already started working on modeling the mounting hardware (in 3D, of course).

I know, I know, I am a n00b.  Now that that's out of the way, I appreciate any help anyone can offer me.  Thanks!

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Airsoft Robot
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:20:12 PM »
The Xbox 360 controller cannot, by itself, send Bluetooth. You have to go through a computer of some kind (such as a Raspberry Pi) if you want to turn it into Bluetooth. It might be easier to make it go through a plain serial adapter (with longer range) such as an Xbee Pro.

Another option is to get something like a Spektrum DX5 with receiver, which is a RC controller with a few channels.

You have between three and five channels you need to control:

1) Left and right, or forward/turn, for the wheels. A motor controller with built-in mixing would be easiest for this. An onboard microcontroller (Arduino, Arbotix, Axon, Teensy, or similar) plus some plain motor controllers is an alternative.

2) Gun activation. This is turning on and off a power switch, basically. Maybe something like this: http://onyxrobots.com/2014/02/14/coming-soon-onyx-fire-ii-control-board/
That board can receive serial commands, or RC-style PWM commands, or simple logic-level signals to activate a switch that can drive an airsoft gun. (In fact, that's what I use it for!)

3) Gun aim. You may want pitch (up/down,) and you may want heading (left/right,) each of which needs a servo with reasonable capacity, plus some mechanics to make it pivot correctly. Or just tie the gun to the chassis and fire straight ahead.

The easiest solution is probably:
1) Get the Wild Thumper
2) Get something like this controller: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12075
3) Get a Spektrum DX5 with receiver
4) Get the Onyx Fire board
5) Drive it all with a 2S LiPo battery
6) Mount the gun on the Wild Thumper directly, and aim by steering (simplest)

Disclaimer: I made the Onyx Fire board, and I haven't actually listed them for sale yet. But any day now!

Offline mourakueTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:26:14 PM »
Wow! You made the board?  That is pretty sweet!  Wanna hook me up?  ;D  Just kidding.  But yeah, thank you so much.  Lastly, is there a specific connector I should look for?  Or should I switch the connectors to tamiya or deans when I get the chassis and the battery?

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:17:56 AM »
Ah, the "connectors" problem. The only solution I can really recommend is:
- keep a parts bin with a variety of connectors
- keep a soldering iron, wire stripper, and good-quality solder
- perhaps also keep a set of housings, crimp pins, and a crimper

I buy things with bare wire if I can, and if I get batteries with a connector different than I want (I almost always want Deans :-) then I cut the wire right at the old connector, and solder on my own connector. Soldering Deans is pretty hard as it's designed to dissipate heat, so it needs a high-power soldering iron. But not so high power that you overheat the battery through the wire...

Offline mhobbies

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 12:14:13 AM »
Wow, i got exactly what i was looking for.

Get Your Ad Here