Author Topic: Look at my proj and suggest me a solution plz...  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Cyclone1Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Look at my proj and suggest me a solution plz...
« on: June 06, 2008, 08:06:28 AM »
I am elec engineering final year student and I am now working on my final year project
My lecturer suggested to me that I build a robot training kit wif a GUI. The objective is to help new comer to enter robotic world and aim to those that has limited programming skills especially assembly

In my hardware, i will be using microcontroller and intended to let the users attach the motor, sensors ..etc...
while in the software part, the user will use very simple programming (or choose the setting or enter parameters in the prepared text box) to control the microcontroller.
Now here is my question, how fo I code my VB so that the interface will create the assembly according to the users setting and loaded it to the microcontroller? any idea to do that ? 
The 2nd question is that wat shud i do to connect da PC to the microcontroller ?

Offline SixRingz

• Helpful? 0
  • Bit's and pc's = Robot.
    • ManMachineSystem
Re: Look at my proj and suggest me a solution plz...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:14:03 AM »
I would suggest to have a file (mySettings.h or so) that the compiler includes with the code for the microcontroller. Then just let different parameters or code blocks be written in there by VB through regular file output. Then just address the parameters and functions from the main file. Maybe let the VB run a command shell to program the micro then or do it "by hand" or with software like AVR Studio etc (depending on MCU)

To connect PC to microcontroller use USB or serial port.
Grounding things properly means burying them in the backyard...

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 11:01:48 AM »
I am elec engineering final year student and I am now working on my final year project
My lecturer suggested to me that I build a robot training kit wif a GUI. The objective is to help new comer to enter robotic world and aim to those that has limited programming skills especially assembly

In my hardware, i will be using microcontroller and intended to let the users attach the motor, sensors ..etc...
while in the software part, the user will use very simple programming (or choose the setting or enter parameters in the prepared text box) to control the microcontroller.
Now here is my question, how fo I code my VB so that the interface will create the assembly according to the users setting and loaded it to the microcontroller? any idea to do that ? 
The 2nd question is that wat shud i do to connect da PC to the microcontroller ?

Microsoft Robotics Studio I believe has a GUI already set up. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Also, what I think you shud use to connect da PC to da microcontrolla is RS232 serial, as it is cheap and easy to wire up.

Offline benji

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 12:23:28 PM »
how fo I code my VB so that the interface will create the assembly according to the users setting
do you want to turn push buttons into assembly code blocks?
can you explain your project a little more clearer?
good ol' BeNNy

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 04:32:36 PM »
How about starting with this, and adding a GUI to it for PC control?

http://www.societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_robot.shtml

Get Your Ad Here

data_list