Author Topic: following robot  (Read 8946 times)

Offline ledracTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
following robot
« on: May 09, 2007, 05:17:14 PM »
What would be the easiest way to make a robot follow you? For example the robot would follow a signal from a keychain. Any ideas?

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
Re: following robot
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 04:30:34 PM »
well that depends on how complicated you want it to get, on the harder side you could use a body heat sensor like the kind in motion detectors to get it to follow your heat signature. An easier way would be to build like a light seaking robot and instead of visible light it would seek a modulated signal from like an infrared keychain you hold. Just some ideas, if you have more specific questions about these just ask.
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline ledracTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 09:44:41 PM »
I cant believe that no-one has ever thought of this before? I mean shouldn't it be able to work off of an RF signal or an audio signal that is out of the reach of the human ear? i don't know a lot about what is available i am a design engineer in the automotive industry. i know more about sheetmetal stamping and plastic parts, but for some reason i have become addicted to knowing all i can about robotics and i can use all the help i can get. Please help! :-[

Offline TravelingPencil

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 05:05:31 PM »
you might be able to use an IR beacon

http://www.pololu.com/products/pololu/0001/

you probably won't be able to order it until they come out with the new one. :(

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 07:33:04 PM »
i attempted to do this for my very first robot (which someday ill actually document).

the best way i know is to use the same method a bull uses to run down a matador . . . track the color red.

to be more specific, you wear a bright red shirt, and your robot has a camera running a very simple middle mass detection on the color red. the centroid is fed to your robot motors, and it will follow you.

ive got this to work on two of my robots.

the harder part is to get the robot to go where a human can go, something i have yet to accomplish . . .

Offline TravelingPencil

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 11:34:12 PM »
I just thought of something. If you have played the game millipede you know that the segments of the body follow the head's path exactly,what if you could make a robot do the same thing, with you as the "head" and the robot as the "body segments"(say a GPS or something).

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 04:53:42 AM »
explain more please. do you mean house the components inside?
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Get Your Ad Here