go away spammer

Author Topic: admins secret new product  (Read 36440 times)

Offline voyager2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 6
    • Voyager Robotics
Re: admins secret new product
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2011, 07:32:26 AM »
I might get one of these (examines piggy bank)
Paper and cardboard Axon Motes,
Marzipan servos...
Mmmm.......
Competition time, me thinks  ;)

3.3v really blows for me :P since everything I have is 5v; is there a way to modify the ADC bus to 5v?  Like scratch off the power lead to the 3.3v bus and solder a 5v regulator to it?
Admin said somewhere that you can use a voltage divider for that ...

And Admin said "Let there be robots!"
And it was good.

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2011, 07:34:35 AM »
ouch . . . :-X

FYI, sparkfun sells their USB cable for $5.95 (it's longer, but it's the best A to B mini comparison they got). ;D

Besides, an Arduino is $29.95 and a basic long range Xbee is $37.95. An Xbee Pro is $71.95. :P

OTOH, Pololu has one for 2.49: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/130

Joe
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 07:35:50 AM by joe61 »

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2011, 08:50:39 AM »
3.3v really blows for me :P since everything I have is 5v; is there a way to modify the ADC bus to 5v?  Like scratch off the power lead to the 3.3v bus and solder a 5v regulator to it?
In terms of the signal line, most 5V devices can get 3.3V on an I/O pin and work fine. The Mote however can't get anything above 3.3V on any I/O pin, so you'll need a voltage divider (two resistors, see VOLTAGE TOLERANCES in datasheet). In terms of powering the devices, most stuff made today will work at 3.3V. The chip on the Mote will fry above ~3.6V, so you can't modify the regulator.

also, I assume they dont come with an  antenna?
Antenna is included. ;D

Just out of curiosity, I have a ps3 controller that i use with my laptop (I downloaded a driver that lets the computer know it's a joystick for games and stuff), is it possible for the Mote to transmit joystick data from the computer?
ummmm, I don't quite understand your question . . .

OTOH, Pololu has one for 2.49: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/130
If you buy more than one Mote, the cable comes included at no additional cost. :P

(I'm wondering where they bought their cables to have them so cheap . . .)

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2011, 09:06:26 AM »
Just out of curiosity, I have a ps3 controller that i use with my laptop (I downloaded a driver that lets the computer know it's a joystick for games and stuff), is it possible for the Mote to transmit joystick data from the computer?

ummmm, I don't quite understand your question . . .
"=>" is "communicates with"
ps3 controller => laptop => wireless network=> Mote on my robot
Basically I have a large robot outside my house that i want to be able to control with my ps3 controller with my laptop inside my house.  This project is probably a little big and custom software is probably required.  However, I thought id throw it out there. :)

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2011, 10:02:49 AM »
Oh. In that case, you'd want to do this:
ps3 controller => Mote inside your house <=> wireless network <=> Mote on robot
                                     ^
                                     ||
                                     V
                            laptop (optional)

(in other words, you don't even need a laptop)

WebbotLib has a PS3 controller driver, so it shouldn't take you long to get that working.

If you did use a laptop, you'd need other application software to transmit data by USB from the PS3 to the Mote. That's just an extra layer of complication/work that's best avoided. For the Mote in your house, you can still plug that into your laptop for power (to avoid needing a battery), or for seeing any extra data on Hyperterminal, etc.

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2011, 11:25:32 AM »
since "ps3" is bluetooth, i would need a receiver on the Mote right?  Also, I just searched webbotlib and didnt find anything about a ps3 controller.  what a sec, are you thinking of ps2 controller? 

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2011, 12:50:40 PM »
since "ps3" is bluetooth, i would need a receiver on the Mote right?  Also, I just searched webbotlib and didnt find anything about a ps3 controller.  what a sec, are you thinking of ps2 controller? 
hmmmm yea I was thinking of PS2, oops . . . in that case, you'll need a computer to use bluetooth :P

As such, you will need software that reads the PS3 commands and sends the result by USB to the Mote . . . but I feel like this is over-complicating things. Why not just attach a few buttons to a hand-held Mote, and bypass the computer/PS3 entirely?

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2011, 03:55:25 PM »
If there are more concerns about 3.3V vs 5V, I've created this thread for those who'd like to discuss it:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=14128.0

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2011, 10:04:37 AM »
but I feel like this is over-complicating things. Why not just attach a few buttons to a hand-held Mote, and bypass the computer/PS3 entirely?
i highly doubt i will be able to make anything as compact and featured as the ps3 controller  :'( but you're right, all i really need is a joystick and some buttons.

another nooby Q: can all the available pins be used for I/O?  I just didnt see it listed in the features page like the axon I and II.

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2011, 05:23:18 PM »
another nooby Q: can all the available pins be used for I/O?  I just didnt see it listed in the features page like the axon I and II.
Well, just the available I/O pins can be used  :P
(I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but it's just like the Axon II in terms of I/O)

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »
for instance, here http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon2/ under SPECIFICATIONS it has "58 I/O Total".  I just didnt see anything here http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon_mote_test/axon_mote_features.shtml that said how many I/O

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2011, 06:13:31 PM »
for instance, here http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon2/ under SPECIFICATIONS it has "58 I/O Total".  I just didnt see anything here http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon_mote_test/axon_mote_features.shtml that said how many I/O
click on the datasheet page for full details on the I/O

Offline Killerwolfbot

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #162 on: July 18, 2011, 12:46:26 PM »
Are these things for sale yet? And can you recoment any simple projects to get started with a mote?

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2011, 12:50:52 PM »
I'm taking pre-orders but nothing is shipping yet  - I'm waiting for my manufacturer to finish. I'll have lots of example projects up when that happens.

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2011, 06:15:59 PM »
I just got an email from my manufacturer informing me that they've completed manufacture. So in theory, I'll get them in the mail in a week, and have it shipped to your house the week after.

In theory.

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2011, 06:48:01 PM »
just put in for two ;D.  Can't wait to see them!

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2011, 07:01:05 PM »
just put in for two ;D.  Can't wait to see them!
Yea I just saw it. First customer ;D

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2011, 07:18:03 PM »
Can I get serial number 33? 

I kid I kid.   :D

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #168 on: July 20, 2011, 06:58:07 PM »
update: My manufacturer charged me and sent me tracking numbers for the shipment. Not yet shipped, however.

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2011, 06:49:10 AM »
update: Items were shipped to me, and tracking says it'll arrive in 5 more days. Suspense!

Offline person

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2011, 11:34:14 AM »
update: Items were shipped to me, and tracking says it'll arrive in 5 more days. Suspense!

All I can say is: It's about time (grumbles)

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2011, 12:12:17 PM »
I've been working on it since January of 2010 . . . I feel the same way!

(in the back of my head, I have this worry that they made a mistake . . . like all the LEDs are backwards, or something worse :-X)

Offline Killerwolfbot

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2011, 12:46:43 PM »
I'mma order one when i get paid. Can't wait to play with it. I just don't have a credit card or anything sooo do you take money orders or something? hahaha XD

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2011, 01:33:25 PM »
I'mma order one when i get paid. Can't wait to play with it. I just don't have a credit card or anything sooo do you take money orders or something? hahaha XD
I also take checks, and can do Western Union. But I'm leaving the US in ~6 weeks for a looooong vacation, so you'd have to get me it before then. :P

Offline person

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2011, 01:33:56 PM »
I've been working on it since January of 2010 . . . I feel the same way!

(in the back of my head, I have this worry that they made a mistake . . . like all the LEDs are backwards, or something worse :-X)

just wondering, but has that ever happened on any of your other products?

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #175 on: July 21, 2011, 01:41:52 PM »
yeap . . . On the first batch of the original Axon, all the LEDs were backward. I had to manually fix them, not too hard to do. If the ATmega chip was backwards, that'd not be easy at all . . .

My first Axon II manufacturer promised me 2 months. In 4 months they only finished 20% of the units, and 75% of them were bad. He then took an entire year of lies and ignored phone calls to return to me the remaining parts . . . it was a horrible expensive experience. I found the phone number of the manager's mother (a nice lady), and called her weekly for months before it finally got solved. Almost two years later, and I'm still in negotiations with another manufacturer to repair those units. :-X

Offline person

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #176 on: July 21, 2011, 01:46:55 PM »
yeap . . . On the first batch of the original Axon, all the LEDs were backward. I had to manually fix them, not too hard to do. If the ATmega chip was backwards, that'd not be easy at all . . .

My first Axon II manufacturer promised me 2 months. In 4 months they only finished 20% of the units, and 75% of them were bad. He then took an entire year of lies and ignored phone calls to return to me the remaining parts . . . it was a horrible expensive experience. I found the phone number of the manager's mother (a nice lady), and called her weekly for months before it finally got solved. Almost two years later, and I'm still in negotiations with another manufacturer to repair those units. :-X

Talk about bad luck :o..........

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
« Reply #177 on: July 21, 2011, 01:56:48 PM »
I'm leaving the US in ~6 weeks for a looooong vacation, so you'd have to get me it before then. :P
Sorry but can you translate please. What's a vacation? Do I also need one of those? Currently have an 'occupation' which sounds similar but when I asked folk they said that its in-compatible with a 'vacation'. Looked on another forum and apparently I need to reboot myself. Is this normal ?

Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

Offline totalis

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #178 on: July 21, 2011, 04:24:03 PM »
@ADMIN Slightly off topic, but; what was mis-manufactured about the bad batch of axons you mentioned earlier, and on a related note, how much?

T

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #179 on: July 21, 2011, 06:05:59 PM »
I'm leaving the US in ~6 weeks for a looooong vacation, so you'd have to get me it before then. :P
Sorry but can you translate please. What's a vacation?
It's when I travel [mostly] Asia for ~8 months . . . It means I have more time to write tutorials for SoR, and to possibly design a new product while on the road. I designed the Axon II and Axon Mote both while living in Bangkok :P
(you're welcome to visit! dunk visited me last time :))

@ADMIN Slightly off topic, but; what was mis-manufactured about the bad batch of axons you mentioned earlier, and on a related note, how much?
You mean Axon II? The bad manufacturer left massive solder bridging on the ATmega640 and the CP2102 (USB chip). The only way to fix them is to entirely remove, clean, then resolder them onto the boards. I'm still negotiating a repair quote, but lets just say repair costs more than assembly :'(

Get Your Ad Here