Author Topic: PLEASE HELP!!! Infrared circuit needed  (Read 1518 times)

Offline artek101Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
PLEASE HELP!!! Infrared circuit needed
« on: November 05, 2010, 06:31:24 PM »
Hiya,

To cut long story short i have 6 sound clips that i want to some how assign to individual IR transmitters so that when the reciever is pointed at a particular transmitter the sound clip is played through a speaker. I wondered whether this was possible?

Ideally the reciever will be static and fixed to the table, however the transmitters will be on a 'wheel' that will spin infront of the transmitter and as each one aligns with the reciever the sound track asigned to that transmitter will be played.

The only electronics experience i have is wiring up an LED so when i say inexperienced i really do mean it! SORRY! =P. I am an Architecture student at Brighton University trying to create a model of an existing space that lets the listner hear a sound from a particular corner of a room by spinning the model on an axis to the corner of interest.

I have a number of people that will be able to help me, however i need the guidance on how to wire this all up and how to program it so that it works!

I hope this makes sense! Please Help!

Thankyou! Look Forward to hearing from you!

Offline M.I.T.

• Helpful? 0
Re: PLEASE HELP!!! Infrared circuit needed
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 09:01:56 PM »
It is possible I did somthing almost the same once but I can not recall how I did it, try googling it.

P.S. Read a book called "the Robot Builder's Bonza" for all your other robot needs.

Best of Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 02:53:10 PM »
Hi,

To cut long story short i have 6 sound clips that i want to [...]
What format are the files and what kind of sound quality do you expect to get?

[...] some how assign to individual IR transmitters so that when the reciever is pointed at a particular transmitter the sound clip is played through a speaker. I wondered whether this was possible?
Anything is possible with electronics!
But it will be a bit involved, as it's not something you can do by just gluing a couple of boxes together.

Ideally the reciever will be static and fixed to the table, however the transmitters will be on a 'wheel' that will spin infront of the transmitter and as each one aligns with the reciever the sound track asigned to that transmitter will be played.
Is the IR transmitter concept needed or could you wire the wheel to the sound player hardware?
This would allow you to use a simple position detector on the wheel, making it less expensive and you'd have a bit less to do on the receiving end.

The only electronics experience i have is wiring up an LED so when i say inexperienced i really do mean it! SORRY! =P. I am an Architecture student at Brighton University trying to create a model of an existing space that lets the listner hear a sound from a particular corner of a room by spinning the model on an axis to the corner of interest.
It might be hard then, How do "steep learning curve" sounds to you  ???

I have a number of people that will be able to help me, however i need the guidance on how to wire this all up and how to program it so that it works!
Those people... Any of them with electronics and programming skills?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 07:25:09 PM »
Thanks for your help guys!!! Ive been continuing my research today and have been looking into Wiimote technology and software for PC but again still unsure whether it will work???

Would it be possible to have a single IR transmitter on the wheel but place four wiimotes evenly spaced around the it. Then have each wiimote paired to the computer and assigned a different soundclip on a given software, then as the wheel moves round and the IR transmitter becomes visable on a wiimote, the specific track is played.

Will the wiimote detect how far away or how strong the signal of the IR is?.... allowing the volume of the track to increase/decrease relative to the distance or strength of the IR reading giving a crossfaded effect.

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 07:46:05 PM »
How about this - instead of using IR, put potentiometers (rotation sensor) on the "wheel transmitter", and have just a single computer/microcontroller see at what angle the wheel is turned, and do the stuff accordingly. Seems simpler than using a variety of wiimotes and computers.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:45:10 PM »
Have i completely over complicated things!!! Could i just use a 5 way rotary switch linked to the wheel to switch between the tracks????

If this is possible would i have to have 6 different pieces of hardware to play the 6 diffferent tracks or is there another way whereby the 6 soundclips are all in one place???

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 09:59:50 PM »
Did you read my last answer at all?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 07:09:51 PM »
Yes! and very much appreciate your feedback however it made me realise how far out of my depth i am and if there is a simpler/ cheaper/ more acheivable solution that is more suited to my electronic abilities (ie. COMPLETE AMATEUR lol) ide like to adopt that.

Thanks to all that have helped!

g x

Get Your Ad Here