Author Topic: which one is better at doing multiple tasks axon or arduino?  (Read 3711 times)

Offline karri sai krishna yadavTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
    • Robo Terrain
which one is better at doing multiple tasks axon or arduino?
« on: August 17, 2009, 05:34:58 AM »
which one is better at doing multiple tasks axon or arduino?....plz hlp.......axon has 8kb ram and 16mhz controller arduino is 20mhz.. ???

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: which one is better at doing multiple tasks axon or arduino?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 12:52:07 PM »
Axon has significantly more I/O and other features, it will be the best. Also Arduino's are on 16mhz also, not 20mhz. But in the end, 16 vs 20 does not really make a difference in most projects.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 05:26:40 AM »
Multitasking is a matter of code. You set a timer to hit an interrupt every when, and mean while you do what you need...
Will a 20MHz to different than 16MHz as for setting the timer.... Not so much.... Does your program evolve communications?
Also not much as communication with ICs are at some certain bauds. Of course you can hit higher bauds in some application but still not so much of a talk...
Will your processor do math or so? Maybe you see a difference... Will it do heavy math??? If yes... 20MHz is better...
And tell you what... Since your project doesn't include communications or you can handle writing the communication subroutines,
overclock it...

As far as I heard and tested atmega8535 handled 22MHz and that's 135,7% of it's initial speed...
At 24 it run but became unstable with the ADC, mostly because ADC must run on certain speed spectrum and the prescaler wasn't just enough...

I bet newer cores like atmega32 or the atmega2560 (axon) would handle 22MHz nicely, still have some thoughts about 24MHz...

So considering this it comes to a point that with even newer cores like atmega168, 24MHz is a sure thing and 26MHz still to be tested...
But I haven't tested so, I can only bet...

Still you need these speeds if you have to do with derivatives and angles... But then I'm starting to feel you need a DSP and not a microprossessor...
So.... What is better at multitasking without telling us the tasks.... Is like giving a blind man a bow and a target...

Also when saying multitasking... I do point out that it can not be done with serial programming.... That is the easiest but less efficient coding method...
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline sonictj

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 03:27:44 PM »
If you interpret multitasking at interrupts, then the Axon has more.  There are 6 timers in the axon compared to the arduino.  This makes running more processes at set interval easier.  That is as long as each process is does not take too long.  The arduino isn't bad but an axon beats it in almost every category.  when I say axon and arduino I'm really talking about the atmega640 and atmega328 respectively.

Get Your Ad Here