Electronics > Electronics

AC-DC (no not the hardrock-countrytrance-techno band)

<< < (3/3)

Botanic:

--- Quote from: Admin on May 24, 2006, 10:16:05 AM ---As for the capacitor, I would perfer to keep the cap simply because it acts as a good energy buffer. Of course for a battery connection you dont need a cap even half that big for supression, but why remove it if its already there?

--- End quote ---

Because there are always losses over components. There is a resistance inside the cap. That resistance does a small loss. Very small, and will not probably make a huge difference.
Also removing the cap would give two nice holes to solder the battery holder into.

polar bear6:
so basically what i do is to desolder the cap and the diodes (since the diodes wont be of much use right? and it seems so hard and much work to cut the wires on the PCB.) and apply the voltage the is on the cap when its plugged in. its 13V on the cap but i will use 12 because its easier :D

thanks a lot for all the helpĀ  :)

--- Quote from: Botanic on May 23, 2006, 04:12:06 PM ---To me it looks as if there are four diodes underneath the two pinkish white and one red cable. I could be wrong since the picture is not so good.
But if they are diodes and four of them, it is definetly a simple AC/DC converter.

--- End quote ---

you were right,  it is 4 of them, see here on the pic, its a closeup, but the wires are over them but you see the leads.

http://img503.imageshack.us/my.php?image=closeupbabycall3ro.jpg

Botanic:
You got it right  ;)

If you want to make the thing lighter, you can trace the wires on the PCB back from the diodes and remove anything before them. Everything before the diodes will be useless.

zamboniman60:
it usually goes:
[mains power] ==> [step-down transformer] ==> [diode bridge] ==> [reservoir capacitor] ==> [voltage regulator]

if you just put in 12-14 volts where the transformer was, the regulator circuit could handle any surplus probably.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version