Author Topic: Interesting Uses for Old Mother-Boards  (Read 12610 times)

Offline wiley89Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Interesting Uses for Old Mother-Boards
« on: January 05, 2008, 02:05:56 AM »
I have two motherboards I'm currently not using. One is a very old--about 5 years--dell proprietary. The other is a decently new. I was wondering if It would be useful to keep these motherboards around. Are there any components worth salvaging? Can anyone recommend any other neat applications for an old motherboard?

Offline robonoob

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Interesting Uses for Old Mother-Boards
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 06:22:06 AM »
I have two motherboards I'm currently not using. One is a very old--about 5 years--dell proprietary. The other is a decently new. I was wondering if It would be useful to keep these motherboards around. Are there any components worth salvaging? Can anyone recommend any other neat applications for an old motherboard?
look around the forum for a bit :) and u'll find that there are many LED's and stuff on the motherboard... but because you have already made that topyc then i ask a question too in here: there are many chip's on the motherboard is it possible to use theese for any brains for robots?

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 07:47:26 AM »
nope

And ( as you said yourself?? ) those question have already been asked on the forum, search for them.
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 09:04:45 AM »
only thing IMO worth salvaging is leds(if it has any), the serial and parralel port plugs(sockets) and definitely the header pins if you're bored and dont want to pay $10 in s&h when you need some. I'd also save an ide cable. there might also be a bunch of mosfets
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 11:32:44 AM »
If it has embedded sound card you might get a nice DAC if you know how to disorder and where to find it... Look for the BIOS ROM and see if you can erase it and use it again... You might get some capacitor and many smd components... you 'll also get a piezo if it has any... some fans and some coolers that are good for smd and mosfets...some connectors as said before... a nice Li+ battery holder for CR12XX series usually CR1232 if I'm right... PS/2 connector... very usefull for full interface projects... USB connector... connector, connector, connector and connector...
inductors, pin headers,crystal (yea!!! and if you want a resonator you might get one if lucky!!!), THE processor (you may be able to use if... if it's old you can search the net or kindly request it from the maker, you will get help too!!!) It would be sweet if you can use the RAM chips... Do not wait for ramtron samples if you are a student (yes, I did NOT like it that I got NONE!!!)...
Mainly connector and holder but see if it has an embedded sound card and get that DAC... It's nice hearing the music you like from what you have made....
But also be carefull when disordering... you want to use this things not just rip them of the board!!!
I recently got a old DVD-ROM from a friend... disassemble it and got some nice brushless motors and some brushless controller... let alone some LEDs, cables, capacitors e.t.c. ..........

Salvage whatever you can, that's for sure!!!!
For whom the interrupts toll...

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 06:25:38 PM »
Thank you tricky nekro, that's the kind of response I was looking for. If you had time maybe you could elaborate a little, or give me a link where I could learn more. I'm a huge noob at electronics and robotics, but I'm really excited to learn about it and all.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 01:35:49 PM »
If you are new just keep a low profile for sometime... keep the motherboard for a cold winter night...but keep it...
Go to a electronic junkyard or relatives or friends or electronic shop (for repairing devices) or whatever has dead electronic devices... salvage whatever you can and seem's nice to you...
Get a soldering gun... a cheap one... no need for expenses here... and a soldersucker... cheap too... and some solder preferably in pen like package... it costs more (a little bit) but it's easier to handle...
Now get down to work... start by disassembling the devices and soldering the components on the PCBs...
Learn how to solder - desolder in short terms...
Secondly... start learning about the components you desolder... what they are, what they do... wikipedia can help you for this and the code names of the ICs and transistor... don't expect to find everything on the net... but it ok!!!
Start with transistors their differences and  so on... They are what you can salvage the most from a old electronic device...
The start with some basic theory... first of all what's your age... determines the math you will need but mostly the complexity of a problem...
The first you need to know is the Ohm law and the Kirkof laws... relativity of current and voltage and current distribution... basic things to enable you understand what you read...
Now what will solve most of your problems is a microcontroller... It's early to solder your own board so get one...
I prefer the BS2 by parallax... their forum support is exellent and there are many many many examples of circuits and code on the net...
Andruino may be a good choise but i have never had one so I don't know... sorry but here you are on your own...
So get a board ready to be plug to a PC and start programming... if you have never programmed before... please prefer basic... It will enable you to learn the basics of structured coding which the most important thing in todays programming...
And here you are... Start learning about microcontrollers... but FIRST follow these basic steps... You can't be learning "W" without knowing "A" if you get what I mean... This is the forth year what i know programming and I had my first contact with electronics at 12 - 13 (years old)
Now I'm 17 and only after these years I started using another microcontroller (there are many features in a microcontroller!!!) This was due to lack of free time of course (I don't want to scare you) but if you want to learn a microcontroller very very good you will need at least one year of hard working (don't imagine you 'll be mining or digging... chill)

So give me a link is a bad idea... best ask of knowledge... it's much more usefull...
And keep the motherboard... it has many goodies but they aren't for you now...

Keep rolling kid... hope I've helped you... and if you have any questions just post them here!!!

Top regards, Lefteris
Greece

BTW: If you need to find something just google it... it works... believe me!!!

Offline robonoob

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 04:05:14 PM »
well once again i have to propagate the arduino :D:D i will buy myself the arduino board and i have allready made schematics...working on CAD atm and this looks simple for starting... so i recommend you the arduino( this is a microcontroller if u haven't understood yet :)) it has simple programming language, free software and it is widely used...i have been looking around the internet for a month or so now and i still haven't got my board yet but i allready know the basics of programming it and know where to plug sensors and so on...
anyway yea this seemed the most interesting and the easyest microcontroller(or shall i say control board?) to start :)
and yea... google is indeed a great place :D

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »
I'm 18, am I too old?

The rest of your suggestions are awesome though. I've actually begun using a soldering Iron already and have down the basic skills of soldering. Programming I need to begin and the physics of electricity shouldn't be too much of a problem, as I've already learned some of the basics therein

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 06:49:17 PM »
too old for what?

theres no such thing as too old
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline robonoob

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »
too old for what?

theres no such thing as too old
exactly dont think that if u are a little older than most of the people who start building robots... everyone can make robots as this forum has shown me... a 2 months ago i though that i would NEVER EVER build a robot myself but now i'm so close to making one...
and again...i recommend you the arduino cuz with it you can get the basics of programming :)

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 07:53:06 AM »
I was just afraid of being too young...  :P You know lot's of kids watch anime today... That can be a problem...
And setting too high scores too early may result in a big disappointment...

So you are ok to go... Just remember to learn things in the right order!!!

And wellcome to the world of robotics... I'm glad I've helped you... :)