Author Topic: what do you use for structure?  (Read 3970 times)

Offline RebelgiumTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
what do you use for structure?
« on: July 27, 2007, 03:47:24 PM »
What material do most robotic-hobbyists use to build their base and structure of the robot?
And what is the best one? And the most popular one?

Or is there no real standard? And does everyone just take some metal bars and modify them?

I'd like to know what material i should use to build a pretty advanced base for a robot.
With suspension and pneumatics and stuff.

tnx in advance! 8)
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

paulstreats

Re: what do you use for structure?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 04:01:41 PM »
My favourite material for building is generally flat sheet plastic type materials.
Usually, you can just draw your design on it, and score it out and snap the pieces off. There are lots of different solvents etc.. for bonding or you could just as easily drill screw/ bolt holes into it.
Its a lot easier than using metals, and a bit more lightweight than wood.
Also there is a great range of colours, thicknesses about plus the tutorials on vaccuum forming available if you need any odd shapes - which is a lot easier than it sounds

Offline Dosbomber

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 04:51:41 PM »
0.118" thick acrylic sheeting (usually cast acrylic for its optical clarity) when I want something translucent or transparent (a robot that's see-thru except for the misc. hardware bits and electronics, motors, etc. just looks darn cool).

When I want something opaque, I use ABS, also in 0.118".  Rarely, but occasionally I experiment with PVC.

Why 0.118"?  1/8" is a nice size for building little projects, rigid enough for strength, and small enough so it's not overbuilt, but pricing 1/8" plastic, for some reason it's a whole lot more expensive than the hair-smaller 0.118".

Lately I've also been fiddling around with PVC tubing, the same kind that may route water in your house.  A few straight pieces and a few elbows/T's can make a nice box-shape that's open enough for great visibility for sensors, cameras, etc.  Need a bigger bot?  Buy bigger tubing.  Easy.
Dosbomber

Offline Robotboy86

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 06:34:57 PM »
Where do you guys get these at? On-line or local?

Thanks

Offline Dosbomber

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 01:46:42 PM »
The sheeting I get has somewhat specific specs (I want cast, not extruded, certain colors, etc.), so I buy it from www.mcmaster.com.

The tubing and elbows (plumbing supplies), you can pretty much get at any hardware store.
Dosbomber

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 06:59:52 AM »
I like to use a combination of HDPE (and other plastics) for the frame and aluminum sheeting when I require something thin and/or bent at an angle.

A browse through my robots will show you what I mean.

Also useful
http://www.societyofrobots.com/materials.shtml

Example:

Offline E.Man.Lava

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 03:44:18 PM »
I sometimes use alligator board because it is durable yet flexible and very lightweight. it works perfectly for the 50$ robot.

Get Your Ad Here