Author Topic: $50 robot and Xbee  (Read 3132 times)

Offline flimflapTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
$50 robot and Xbee
« on: June 05, 2008, 06:21:18 AM »
After adding a fdti chip to my $50 robot i thought i upgrade it with an xbee to have wireless communication but there seems to be a problem with the transmission.
Here's my setup:

fdti chip and a xbee:
xbee is powered by the 3.3V out from the fdti chip. Fdti is bus powered. The xbee can be programmed with X-CTU and is working correct (I think)

Atmel and xbee:
atmel running at 5V. Put a 3.3V regulator in for the xbee. Tried various schematics for the io lines of the xbee and all have the same results. Currently I just have a 10K on DIN of the xbee and nothing else.

Program:
The xbee with the atmel attached is sending data to the other xbee. This xbee puts it on screen using hyperterminal or whatever.

Problem:
There is very Little data received. If i power the atmel xbee on i receive nothing. Only if i fiddle with the powerconnector of the atmel there are some bytes being sent and only about 10 and then nothing. The data that is being sent in that time is correct (I send the word "test" and i receive "test").

Of course I tested the fdti chip and if i hook up my TX from the AVR i receive data perfectly. The atmel and the xbee share common ground.
I tried various setting with dl and my at settings, different pan id's and coordinator mode but all have the same result. Currently i have the xbee's in default mode and the problem is still the same. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
Re: $50 robot and Xbee
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:32:13 AM »
The Arduino uses the atmega8.

Here is a website:

http://itp.nyu.edu/~raf275/meshnetworking/XBee/XBee_program_Arduino_wireless.html

hope this helps.

I'm currently working on wireless reprogramming doing a mcu reset using the watchdog timer using a BlueSMiRF

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 12:03:57 PM »
Already had that link. Got the same results with their settings..

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 12:44:57 PM »
problem solved!
Seems that the xbee wasn't entirely happy with the 3.3V power supply. When i put in a diode it was much happier and started to work! hooray!

data_list