Author Topic: Hackaday writes up a Linux recipe for the MSP430 Launchpad  (Read 3209 times)

Offline vinitoTopic starter

• Helpful? 6
Hackaday writes up a Linux recipe for the MSP430 Launchpad
« on: August 12, 2010, 12:51:09 AM »
Saw this on Hackaday today.
I'm a Linux user and like to use it for whatever I can. I'm not extremely well-versed though and I find all my micro stuff (other than Arduino) to be aimed at Windows and easier to use with it. I've just surrendered and use a kludged-together Winblows box for my micro stuff. For now anyway.

I picked up an MSP430 a while back and haven't had time to fiddle with it yet. But I hear that even their Windows package isn't very easy or intuitive to deal with. However, I'll just install it on my Windows box and see how it goes when I get a chance.

But maybe I'll try this first (the Hackaday recipe):

http://hackaday.com/2010/08/11/how-to-launchpad-programming-with-linux/

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:36:32 AM by vinito »

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: Hackaday writes up a Linux recipe for the MSP430
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 06:44:59 AM »
I'm using Code Composer Studio on windows and it is just fine. I have a feeling the linux version won't have all the features of the windows, as the linux one isn't constantly updated like the official TI software

Offline awally88

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 07:44:36 PM »
Did you get one of the $4 boards that TI released a while ago? Mine is still backordered but hopefully I can get this up and running on linux when it finally comes.

Offline vinitoTopic starter

• Helpful? 6
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:35:56 PM »
Yea I looked around until I found someone who had them in stock. You'd think that TI would be able to make a boatload of anything, but I guess the MSP430's are being made by a couple guys in a basement or something. ::)

Anyway, Arrow electronics had them. From them it cost a buck or two more for S&H, but oh well.

Hope they show up pretty soon for you.

Offline awally88

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 10:22:30 PM »
No kidding, I ordered them a month or two ago probably. Its a bit of a joke really :( They made a big shot at the hobby market and then didn't have enough chips made to satisfy demand so noone really cares about them now.

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 06:38:46 AM »
I ordered one on like the 23rd, got that in a week. ordered three more on the 27th and those are still backordered. So I guess after the first batch, its taking a while to get more  :P

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 01:48:46 PM »
You'd think that TI would be able to make a boatload of anything, but I guess the MSP430's are being made by a couple guys in a basement or something. ::)

You don't build chips like cars. The fabs where the chips are made are used to build many different chips and have a really tight schedule. If you run out of a specific chip, you cannot make some more overnight. You will have to wait several weeks (or event months if this is low priority).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:50:42 PM by chelmi »