Software > Software

What laptop should I get?

<< < (4/4)

HDL_CinC_Dragon:
well if you just want something portable to tote around while you test your killer robot at the local park, just advanced search eBay a laptop with your price max that your looking for and get something cheap. As mentioned before, you dont need anything too powerful... unless you want to do the 3D CAD. I personally use the Google Sketchup because its very advanced and is free so its a crazy awesome deal =) heck my old 233Mhz laptop that can barely run its OS (I have Win XP on it and I have NO idea how it even boots up lol) could probably run the progging software and such...

Ro-Bot-X:
To run Win XP on a laptop, look for a Pentium III around 1000MHz with 256 MB RAM. The harddrive size matters only to be able to store more stuff on it. These laptops have both parralel and serial ports, as well as USB 1.1. Having a DVD-ROM is nice so you can play the movies of your robots at conventions or where ever you go. Anyway, a laptop is good for 3 reasons: you can take it with you at competitions to tweak your code, you can have a dual OS installed on it so you get familiar with Linux, and you can play with a laptop controlled robot, a good thing for prototyping your next generation of inteligent robots. Of course, if it works, you can then get a Mini-ITX motherboard with a Compact Flash card instead of a HDD.

My laptop is a Dell Latitude C610, P-III at 1200 MHz, 256 RAM, 40 GB HDD, DVD-ROM. I run Win XP SP2 and Gentoo Linux. I got this laptop a couple years ago from eBay, for $450.

Edit: I don't have a desktop, my whife also has a similar laptop and we have a wireless router wich enable us to surf the net anywhere in the house and to wirelessly comand my big robot Eric. So far it can bring me a bear only remotely controlled. Hope that someday I will be able to finish it's programming...

megaman935:

--- Quote from: Ro-Bot-X on June 26, 2007, 11:52:24 PM --- big robot Eric

--- End quote ---
Sweet- There's a robot that has my name! Thanks Ro-Bot-X!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version