Author Topic: special education robot assistant  (Read 2051 times)

Offline aparente001Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
special education robot assistant
« on: May 10, 2015, 07:08:06 AM »
I saw a video of a robot used in special education with children on the autism spectrum (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQcjfebQXgQ). My son isn't autistic, he has Tourette Syndrome, ADHD, executive function problems, and OCD. A robot could be quite helpful for him. Where can I buy one? I don't need it to look like a human being. It just needs to be interactive. Here's an example.  As my son is getting ready for bed, he needs someone to talk him through his steps, give him positive feedback, and ask questions like "Okay, you're in your pajamas. Great! What else do you need to do to get ready for bed?" And the robot would have a mental list (preprogrammed) of everything that's needed (brush teeth, wash face, put on eczema ointment, put dirty clothes in hamper). My son is 12 and would like to get ready by himself -- without Mama or Papa -- but he gets sidetracked when he's in his room on his own. The robot doesn't need to be able to "see" him brushing his teeth. He just needs to be able to hear my son saying, "I brushed my teeth." When the two of them together decide he has made it through his routine, then they can call me in, and I'll check, and then we'll do our bedtime reading.

That's an example of what I have in mind. There are other situations where I could imagine a robot being helpful for him.

I'd like a system where I can provide some custom instructions to the robot.

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
Re: special education robot assistant
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 07:31:35 AM »
 ;D Hello!
In reference to your post, I would offer my opinion...
If guidance is all you need, I would install speakers, motion detectors, etc, in the places where he is, and have an AI (artificial Intelligece) on your PC. That way, no robotic parts gets broken, or torn up. Install sensors to help in voice guidance,
generated from the PC program. I get alot of inspiration from robot movies, old and
new. The Robot video section in this forum, has great ideas. I will try to cover this type of AI in my post in the miscellaneous.  Good Luck!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Get Your Ad Here

data_list