Author Topic: Connecting everything together?  (Read 2133 times)

Offline BotBoy22Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Connecting everything together?
« on: August 09, 2011, 08:44:19 AM »
Hi, I am new to robotics and I'm starting of just by building a simple 2-wheeled robot. all i know is what the parts do, its just a matter of connecting everything up and getting to work together. I cant seem to find anywhere that helps me with this, so i was hoping people with experience would be my best chance. Anyway, I'm also stuck on actually making the wheels spin, may sound stupid but i have no idea on how to connect motors to the wheels and motors to the main board etc. to actually make them move.

Thanks.  :)

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
Re: Connecting everything together?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 08:47:16 AM »
Sounds like you want to take a look at http://www.societyofrobots.com/ Look at the section "Beginners, not sure where to start?"

If you have more specific questions I'm sure you can find help here, but what you need help with is a little vague yet.

Joe

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 09:01:10 AM »
Sounds like you want to take a look at http://www.societyofrobots.com/ Look at the section "Beginners, not sure where to start?"

If you have more specific questions I'm sure you can find help here, but what you need help with is a little vague yet.

Joe

When buying a motor, does it come with a shaft or do you have to buy that separately?

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer ยท Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 01:55:52 PM »
When buying a motor, does it come with a shaft or do you have to buy that separately?
Motors come with the shaft, since that's part of the motor (aka it's what's being turned within the motor.  What you attach to the shaft and how is usually real issue... What motors and for what applications are you looking at?
I

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 04:55:05 AM »
Motors come with the shaft, since that's part of the motor (aka it's what's being turned within the motor.  What you attach to the shaft and how is usually real issue... What motors and for what applications are you looking at?
DC motors for a 2 wheeled robot

Offline Conscripted

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 10
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 01:18:21 PM »
DC motors for a 2 wheeled robot

That's still a little vague. Have you purchased any parts yet? If you haven't purchased any parts you may want to consider doing the $50 robot tutorial on this website. It's a simple 2 wheel robot.

If you have purchased some parts let us know what they are and we can help more specifically. When connecting a motor to a wheel you will probably want need some type of hub. A hub connects to the wheel and the shaft of the motor you are using. When you purchase your motor it should have information about what the shaft size is and if it's round or if it is shaped like a D.

You may want to look at "Gear motors" they are motors with external gearing that makes them spin slower but with more torque. You would connect to them the same way as a standard motor.

Good luck with your first bot. Make sure you post pictures.
Conscripted

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 02:12:01 PM »
There is tons of info on the web about Robot, motors, etc. Start by clicking on the "Robot Tutorial" above and read. Then use google to look up and read about all the other pieces.
Any of the better on-line stores that carry motors and parts for robots have additional info on their parts and how to use them. They also have pictures of the parts so you can see what they look like.

Right here is also a ton of great info. You just need to read through the many threads and posts on this forum.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list