go away spammer

Author Topic: Making my own uC Boards  (Read 1476 times)

Offline mstachoTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
Making my own uC Boards
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:44:01 AM »
Howdy all,

I've been working with the Axon for some time now, but the project I'm working on needs me to custom design a uC board that's super small.  But before I get ahead of myself, I need to learn how to actually MAKE a board for a uC.  I have two ATMega644 chips that I'm going to experiment with.  I've found schematics on the internet (ie: http://avrprogrammers.com/atmega644bd.php), but the sites don't usually provide me with information on *why* i'm connecting the various components to what I'm connecting them to.

Does anyone have a good resource for designing things like this?

MIKE
Current project: tactile sensing systems for multifingered robot hands

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: Making my own uC Boards
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:24:28 AM »
Hi there,

what functionality are going to need from Your ATMega644?
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline mstachoTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
Re: Making my own uC Boards
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 08:03:32 AM »
The uC is going to have to read one quadrature encoder and do PID control for a motor, and read 16 sensors, which are analog signals that are multiplexed.  It will also have to process those sensor signals in a small way, as well as communicate over the UART with the PC for control commands and with one other similar circuit for control cooperation.

Currently, the Axon I have is doing the encoder/PID thing for 4 motors (it did 7 once :-P) and the sensor reading for 16 sensors, but I haven't put the processing onto it.  I don't imagine it'll be all that advanced for it -- the processing is something like take the average of all the sensors, then compute the numerical derivative, then monitor that signal for a while.

The '644s are actually just a test bed.  I want to learn to make the circuits, then test out the ideas on the 644s (mainly because I have two 644s sitting on my desk, and they are PDIP so I can toss them into breadboards).  I was thinking of using ATMega128's, the 44 (or 40?) pin surface mount version, like on the Axon Mote.  :-P Did I mention that the entire circuit, including all IO and communications peripherals, has to fit on a 1"x1" square?

Cheers,

MIKE
Current project: tactile sensing systems for multifingered robot hands

Get Your Ad Here