go away spammer

Author Topic: Aesthetic AI controlled Robot? Can you help me identify?  (Read 7522 times)

Offline dosprompt007Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Aesthetic AI controlled Robot? Can you help me identify?
« on: April 07, 2007, 04:59:35 PM »
[youtube=425,350]sJdb9tVjle4[/youtube]

I am organizing the tape library in our CS department and found this bit which I can't identify.  As I wrote on the youtube page:

Don't know much about this video, the case was labelled "AI Aesthetics Test 10", with "Robots" written on it in marker. Does anyone recognize this stuff, or have an idea of what is going on? I assume that the orange box is some sort of computer controlled robot. The moving lines on sides seem to track its position. There are two different types of lines, too.

The date on it is 10/08/99.  The lab specification, 2C, doesn't match up to the way any of our department work areas are labelled - and yes, I checked with the professors who are old and tenured. 

Anyone recognize this, or have a guess?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJdb9tVjle4
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 05:06:11 PM by dosprompt007 »

Offline Hal9000

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Aesthetic AI controlled Robot? Can you help me identify?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 04:26:16 PM »
i reckon theres magnets under the white platform

Im not sure whether robots could move so close together like that?

Hmm no?
"The truth is, you can't hide from the truth, cos the truth is all there is" - Handsome Boy Modeling School

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 04:21:12 PM »
i reckon theres magnets under the white platform

Im not sure whether robots could move so close together like that?

Hmm no?

Magnets are an interesting idea, especially because there is no real sense of scale - though magnets would demand the box be of some size in order to keep it pointed in the right direction and not spinning around randomly as the magnet moves.  Though maybe a magnet on one side would let the rest of the box drag, but it doesn't always feel like that when watching it play. 

Looking at the way the thing moves, I assumed it was some sort of simple, wheeled,  remote controlled robot under the box.  There is a loose jerkiness to the movement that makes it feel like it isn't stuck to the platform, or necessarily stuck box-to-chassis very well.

There is only one robot/moving-thing, the other boxes never move under their own power. 

Due to the title, my impression is that the robot is secondary to the test.  Some sort of tracking is going on, the lines on the side are following (or guiding?) the motion of the orange box.  I was thinking that this was some sort of "can a computer program make aesthetic decisions" test, in real space. 

Offline Hal9000

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 02:38:10 PM »
In which case, would be very interesting to find out what it is!
"The truth is, you can't hide from the truth, cos the truth is all there is" - Handsome Boy Modeling School

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 02:15:51 PM »
Alas, we have come full circle!

Offline Hal9000

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 10:21:01 AM »
Like Micheal Palin!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 06:56:46 AM »
it might just be a configuration test, and not the actual experiment - for example, just to make sure the tracking is working properly and the software doesnt get confused between red and green boxes . . .

this would explain why nothing interesting is happening . . .

Offline Hal9000

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 12:45:13 PM »
Oh I see, the red one is the robot. The others are just bricks. I see the green bits on the edges of the screen move with the red robot.

You are probably right, though, since nothing interesting is happening....

Get Your Ad Here