Author Topic: Bluetooth - Using a USB to UART and two bluetooth dongles...  (Read 17966 times)

Offline shadow57Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Bluetooth - Using a USB to UART and two bluetooth dongles...
« on: February 19, 2008, 12:10:49 AM »
Hi,

I've been doing some research into the various ways of communicating with a microcontroller using bluetooth.  I understand how to set up the pc side by using a usb bluetooth dongle as a serial port, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding what I would like to know about the micro controller connection.

I noticed in the bluetooth tutorial it says that one way of doing this is to buy an rs232 to bluetooth converter and plug it into the serial port of the microcontroller.  I also saw in the UART tutorial that you can use a USB to UART converter that allows you to create a serial link between your pc and microcontroller using a standard USB cable.  What I would like to know is can you add a USB to UART converter to your microcontroller, then plug a USB dongle into this?  Effectively replacing a USB to USB cable with two USB bluetooth dongles.

If this is not possible, why are you able to connect to a bluetooth to rs232 addaptor but not a bluetooth to USB addaptor, when they are both connected to the UART pins?  Is it only USB that has the issues of defining a "host" and "device"?

I hope I've managed to state my question clearly.  The reason I'm looking to connect using this method is that it seems to be much cheaper to buy usb bluetooth dongles than it is to buy bluetooth rs232 dongles, or bluetooth UART modules.  I'm also just curious about both USB and bluetooth interfaces.

Cheers

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
Re: Bluetooth - Using a USB to UART and two bluetooth dongles...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 05:40:29 AM »
you can do bluetooth to USB, and then USB to RS-232 , but why would you when you could just do bluetooth to RS-232
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 08:26:59 AM »
You can't do that - a bluetooth USB dongle required being plugged into a USB host port. A USB -> TTL converter also requires being plugged into a USB host port. A PC has a USB host port - typically microcontrollers do not (with exceptions like the gumstix or the hammer).

Something like a BlueSMiRF is the simplest way to get a microcontroller talking to a PC over bluetooth.

- Jon

Offline Salman

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 01:13:00 AM »
welll
i too wish to use a bluetooth dongle to make a connection between two AVR microcontrollers........ can you guys help me on this.......Please.....
can a bluetooth dongle be connected to the controllers UART using max232.....
does anyone know the pin config of the bluetooth dongle.......
does using this require any extra conding as compared to using a bluetooth module..........................
 :-\

Offline akshaydusane

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 03:51:57 AM »
Hi,

I've been doing some research into the various ways of communicating with a microcontroller using bluetooth.  I understand how to set up the pc side by using a usb bluetooth dongle as a serial port, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding what I would like to know about the micro controller connection.

I noticed in the bluetooth tutorial it says that one way of doing this is to buy an rs232 to bluetooth converter and plug it into the serial port of the microcontroller.  I also saw in the UART tutorial that you can use a USB to UART converter that allows you to create a serial link between your pc and microcontroller using a standard USB cable.  What I would like to know is can you add a USB to UART converter to your microcontroller, then plug a USB dongle into this?  Effectively replacing a USB to USB cable with two USB bluetooth dongles.

If this is not possible, why are you able to connect to a bluetooth to rs232 addaptor but not a bluetooth to USB addaptor, when they are both connected to the UART pins?  Is it only USB that has the issues of defining a "host" and "device"?

I hope I've managed to state my question clearly.  The reason I'm looking to connect using this method is that it seems to be much cheaper to buy usb bluetooth dongles than it is to buy bluetooth rs232 dongles, or bluetooth UART modules.  I'm also just curious about both USB and bluetooth interfaces.

Cheers

hello i am interested in making the same project...
i also have the same doubt that you have...
U succeeded in making connection between dongle and rs232  ?

Offline akshaydusane

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 11:39:05 PM »
this will be helpful to me
but my plan to use SMC-BT10 usb dongle at car's end...
Is it possible ?
and also Can u please explain me how to initialize bluetooth in program inc  ?

Offline billhowl

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 32
  • Your success is in your hands.

Offline streamlinedwings

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 06:40:19 AM »
Is it possible to hack a bluetooth dongle- search for the data pins on the chip (tx, rx, ) and vcc,gnd - connect it directly to the avr pins?? i gues there can be several difficulties while locating/connecting  -but otherwise ..will that work?? (if that works.. no need of any usb rs232 adaptor or any usb hosting  module is required.. the bl;uetooth dongle attached to the avr pins can be initialised from a pc through another bluetooth (dongle)...?? or not? )

Get Your Ad Here

data_list