Author Topic: Robot Project (Need Help)  (Read 14448 times)

Offline AdvsNoobTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
Re: Robot Project (Need Help)
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 01:56:51 PM »
Oh no i will be later right now im taking the bot into two parts, one is the base and the other is the arm with gripper.

And lol i will be doing the server with the sensor, on the 3d image it has text on it by that sensor i made that looks like ****,
but it will pan and maybe tilt im not sure yet about the tilt.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
Re: Parts for my new project S.Y.T.H
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2008, 12:57:01 AM »
I switched a couple of parts.  ;D

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2008, 08:01:33 PM »
Whats the point of having thee ultrasonic sensor pointing down to me its more logical to have it t a lower level and looking straight... with it pointing down you are going to have to program it exactly because of the floor.... got to mmember tutorials and go to dvd case bot its somewhere around there its very similar to what your wanting to build

my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2008, 08:04:23 PM »
Whats the point of having thee ultrasonic sensor pointing down to me its more logical to have it t a lower level and looking straight... with it pointing down you are going to have to program it exactly because of the floor.... got to mmember tutorials and go to dvd case bot its somewhere around there its very similar to what your wanting to build

Its going to be set to follow a line as well.

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2008, 08:40:53 PM »
but doesn't an ultrasionic sensor only measure distance..... plus to have something follow a line the most commmon way is by some type of light sensor and well even if you had one it would be to far you could maybe use computer vision or somthing but i dont see the ultrasonic sensor working
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2008, 08:45:15 PM »
but doesn't an ultrasionic sensor only measure distance..... plus to have something follow a line the most commmon way is by some type of light sensor and well even if you had one it would be to far you could maybe use computer vision or somthing but i dont see the ultrasonic sensor working

oh i know that but i am using the pan and tilt system for that, not the ultrasonic sensor, the S.Y.T.H is used for beginners and Advs users one is that you can create this and remove things like the ultrasonic sensor and add other things to it like a camera and so on.

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2008, 09:28:22 PM »
actually it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to put those twom ideas together for one bot

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2008, 10:28:20 PM »
actually it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to put those twom ideas together for one bot

Hmm thats kinda a good idea i had thought about it one or two times but i didnt really think it will work, well i will try that i will also try to make it a switch.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
Re: Parts for my new project S.Y.T.H
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2008, 01:19:10 AM »
I switched a couple of parts.  ;D

You could get a quick update on how to build this robot, i am now getting my money together to buy all the parts. Then i will go to my grandpas and use all of his equipment, that will help me make the base of the robot of course i will be taking videos and pictures of everything. ^_^

GO HERE FOR MORE INFO!

http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/224

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2008, 09:42:28 AM »
I think it would definaltely work another idea is to make the arm to were it rotates and add the ultrasonic on the arm or even add it under were the electronics go looking out... I may be wrong but it looks like your goingto have enough space for your power souce under there too..... if not i would try to by maybe raising the platform up a couple of inches

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2008, 12:40:22 PM »
I think it would definaltely work another idea is to make the arm to were it rotates and add the ultrasonic on the arm or even add it under were the electronics go looking out... I may be wrong but it looks like your going to have enough space for your power souce under there too..... if not i would try to by maybe raising the platform up a couple of inches

Oh i will have alot of room, but i am going to Velcro it on and i hate trying to get things out of there with Velcro, last time at school i smacked my hand really hard on aluminum and well i have a nice scar now..  ;D

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2008, 04:19:16 PM »
dont use something u can cut yourself with and if you get something that can charge get a pack that you can plug it right into it

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2008, 05:23:29 PM »
dont use something u can cut yourself with and if you get something that can charge get a pack that you can plug it right into it

oh i did it was just my first robot with a aluminum casing, i do have a plug that works right in it, but i might need to switch battery's every once in a while for another robot.  :D

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2008, 11:26:01 AM »
one more thing would two  9v batteries leave more rooom

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2008, 12:19:24 PM »
But i am just looking for cheap good working batterys i looked at the 9v and they our in 20$ each...

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2008, 09:30:11 PM »
Created a better new model!

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2008, 09:59:29 PM »
Hey - Im going to make some comments on your design. They may seem negative - but think of them as constructive  :)

1. The axles for your wheels seem to be coming out of the middle of the base !! Where are the servo/motors? Above or below the base (they cant be inside!)

2. How will your robot turn? Since we dont know where the servos are then we dont know which are the drive wheels - back or front. So lets say your robot wants to do a 180 degree spin then how will it do it as all those extra wheels don't turn?

3. Ground clearance looks negligible. May hit the side of a rug and ground itself. This may be ok if the robot is working only on a smooth surface - but you dont say what environment it will work in.

If you are convinced the design is correct then all I would say is - build it (without any electronics/servos/motors etc), but it on the ground, and try to make it turn - it won't !! Back to the drawing board.

Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2008, 10:30:40 PM »
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2008, 11:27:05 PM »
Hey - Im going to make some comments on your design. They may seem negative - but think of them as constructive  :)

1. The axles for your wheels seem to be coming out of the middle of the base !! Where are the servo/motors? Above or below the base (they cant be inside!)

2. How will your robot turn? Since we dont know where the servos are then we dont know which are the drive wheels - back or front. So lets say your robot wants to do a 180 degree spin then how will it do it as all those extra wheels don't turn?

3. Ground clearance looks negligible. May hit the side of a rug and ground itself. This may be ok if the robot is working only on a smooth surface - but you dont say what environment it will work in.

If you are convinced the design is correct then all I would say is - build it (without any electronics/servos/motors etc), but it on the ground, and try to make it turn - it won't !! Back to the drawing board.

Oh the motors will be on the same base as the battery's i am new at SketchUp, The tires will be bigger as well like i said in the picture, the robot will use dc motors and turn by using the same design as this robot

http://www.societyofrobots.com/programming_differentialdrive.shtml

but there will be four. ^_^

And well the rest is explanatory ^_^

PS, thats a cool robot arm but i will be creating my own thanks, im not new in robots i have a robot battle club at my school, but the parts and everything our already there, i am new at buying the parts and want to make sure i have the right one's but i am getting used to it so. Ya! Thanks SoR!

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2008, 11:37:43 PM »
Oh the motors will be on the same base as the battery's i am new at SketchUp, The tires will be bigger as well like i said in the picture, the robot will use dc motors and turn by using the same design as this robot

http://www.societyofrobots.com/programming_differentialdrive.shtml

but there will be four. ^_^

And well the rest is explanatory ^_^

Still don't think it will work. The liink you gave is for a two wheel differential drive robot. They can turn no problem. But fail to see how your 4 wheel robot will actually make a turn.

Perhaps you could explain why 'it is explanatory' !_! - because it just isn't !

Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2008, 07:32:47 AM »
@Webbot

It will turn , but not smoothly.

Imagine how a tank drives. Now remove the threads on the tank . The wheels are still very close to each other on the sides. Now if we make the entire right side go backward and the entire left side go forward it will turn.
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2008, 08:29:53 AM »
@Webbot

It will turn , but not smoothly.

Imagine how a tank drives. Now remove the threads on the tank . The wheels are still very close to each other on the sides. Now if we make the entire right side go backward and the entire left side go forward it will turn.

Thank you that is what i am doing! Just like the tank, i used the weel link because in the link some where there is a 360 turn and that is what i am really using.

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2008, 08:39:03 AM »
just make sure your wheels are really really close to each other

this will work

this will not

www.Narobo.com

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2008, 02:55:50 PM »
That bot looks strangely familiar Airman :P

When I was part of my high schools robotics club our vehicle was a four wheel drive differential steering robot powered by four CIM 12v motors attached to custom made gear boxes. The bot turned fine but it didnt really turn smoothly. Expect any payload (eg. circuitry, battery, sensors, etc) to shake and wobble a lot... depending on your bots size of course... ours was like 10 feet tall when it raised its arm all the way up... the main center post that supported the arm was about 5 feet I believe. The base foot print was maybe about 3 feet by 2 feet? I cant remember. It was like 4 years ago lol. We made a dummy bot real quick using the motors, control system, and code and drove it around to test everything out. It was just a flat little 3'x3'x3" square with motors. It worked great. Then I decided to stand on top of it and drive it down the hallway. It worked perfectly but didnt like making its turns nearly as well with ~150lbs on its head :P
Infantry

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2008, 07:42:44 PM »
just make sure your wheels are really really close to each other

this will work

this will not

It is not going to be just like that, that was my second time using SketchUp, i will try to make one that will look just like i have it here, i have my base made already, if i can find my camera i will take a picture. It will not be that big in length, and it will have bigger wheels.

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2008, 07:56:35 PM »
It is not going to be just like that, that was my second time using SketchUp, i will try to make one that will look just like i have it here
not sure if you saw this
http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/70

also , really looking forward to see how the base looks, this robot sounds like its going to be cool

www.Narobo.com

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2008, 09:03:03 PM »
Here is the new picture ^_^

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2008, 09:18:52 PM »
ahh much better!

What kind of motors are those?

www.Narobo.com

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2008, 09:28:51 PM »
ahh much better!

What kind of motors are those?

;D ;D ;D Thanks and they our, Mini Metal Gear Motor Located here, http://www.solarbotics.com/products/gm18/

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2008, 09:45:05 PM »
Those are going to be VERY under powered even at its 6v rating. Even if you got the 100:1 geared motors you would still be a little under powered.

Best bet if you want to stick with that site is get the 360:1 motor and put like 5" wheels on it. With that motor and 5" wheels, your bot will travel at about 6 inches per second.
23RPM = ~.383RPS
2 x pi x r = c = ~15.708"
c * rps = ~6.02in/s

You should have sufficient torque with a modest speed.
Infantry

Get Your Ad Here