Author Topic: face masks to prevent inhaling soldering vapours!  (Read 28843 times)

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Two decades+ of Embedded Design
    • CircuitGizmos
Re: face masks to prevent inhaling soldering vapours!
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 09:33:49 AM »
Thankyou for all the valuable suggestions. I am planning to try out a PC fan. i have a big window near the table where i work. so i guess the smoke should go out. if it doesnt work out, then i have to think abt the fume absorber!!

Thank you ppl.  :)

BEAMer

Well, BEAMer, I'm glad to help.

You might even consider an activated charcoal pad for your PC fan. I remember finding activated pads at a pet store that is a pad for aquarium filtering devices. (The charcoal pads, not the bags) I have no definite data on the pads, but it might be an experiment you could try.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 03:34:33 PM »
yea BEAMer you show those fumes who's who! but good luck buddy! ;D
Howdy

Offline BEAMerTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 11:02:54 AM »
Thank you GearMotion and SmAsH. :)

where exactly on the fan should i fix the pad ?

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 03:21:35 PM »
on the other side! ;)
ideally right behind the fan, like on it.
but not your side...
Howdy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2009, 12:09:21 AM »
oh... ok.
so literally i have to let the smoke go through the charcoal pad and the out, right?

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2009, 12:10:36 AM »
yes, it "filters" the air.
Howdy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2009, 07:41:35 AM »
oh... ok ok. i got it. Thank you SmAsH :)

Offline lemontree

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 07:03:21 PM »
Face masks won't help you a bit.  The most toxic components of any sort of smoke are nano particles that will just go straight through any common sort of face mask.  if you are really concerned you could make some sort of fume cupboard (as per a chemistry lab).  If you are using solder containing lead then really you should think about wearing some kind of chem lab (heat resistant) type gloves while soldering.  One can become absurd about such things however because statistically it is very dangerous to cross the road for example.  Humans have notoriously poor risk assessment abilities.     

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 11:17:36 PM »
 :o oh god...
im starting to consider a fume cupboard more and more now...
do you think it is that dangerous? like bad for me if i solder about 3-5hrs/week?
Howdy

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2009, 11:58:26 PM »
Personally, the food we eat everyday is probably worse for us in both the short and long run than mild exposure to fumes from solder.  For example monosodium glutamate (MSG), the FCC allows any amounts of this stuff to be used as an additive in foods. 
What does it do? Its a flavour enhancer. 
What are its side effects? MSG is a excitotoxin, basically, it "excites" your brain cells to the point where they die. 
In addition, food manufacturers try to "hide" this ingredient by calling by other names such as "hydrolysed vegetable, whey, soy (etc.) protein, "natural flavour", "spices" etc.  In america, 330 million tons of this stuff is produced each year!  It is also addictive...ever wonder about the Lay's chips quote "betcha cant eat just one"... its hard to eat just one chip, because there filled with msg, there addictive.  Why does the FCC allow this poison into our foods?...it makes all these crappy tastless foods taste great, and so we buy them... its an amazing marketing scheme, only at the cost of your health....have you ever tried cooking "Mr. Noodles" instant soup, pouring out the water, adding new hot water adding the little flavour package and the eating it?...tastes like crap...
how about aspartame? its used in basically every sugar free gum and diet pop...its effects are brain cancer...

The point is we consume these carcinogenic and harmful food additives daily, which kills us alot faster than the solder fumes.  however, we should still strive to protect ourselves none-the-less from anything which may deteriorate our health.  Think about it, why risk your health over a few dollars?  imo, go buy what ever is best to keep you healthy and dont think twice about it, or you may regret it later.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list