Author Topic: Question! and Help I need to build a v8 engine servo motor governor  (Read 48464 times)

Offline wheelyneilTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
  • FOR GET ABOUT IT
Re: Question! and Help I need to build a v8 engine servo motor governor
« Reply #240 on: February 19, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »
Hi Soren
As I mentioned, hacksaw blades can be used for a variety of scrapers. I have a range of odd shapes for this and that, all made similar to this

Are you sure you haven't been to Prison?  :P :D
I really like that scraper and the way your making them I will keep that in mind as I build my tool kit up.

The calibration data will be different from one to the next.
Hope I haven't screwed anything up, I used the Pickit2 to drop that RGB.hex in one of my "2" 675's I had no idea about the calibration that was already loaded. I will figure out how to check it today or later tonight ::) >:(

It's not that it bores me or nothing, but I think it should be mounted on that warm lump of shaky metal for a cosy time soon
I wouldn't mind running some real test on the engine myself 8)

BTW. Have you considered how you wanna box it in?
I am glad you asked that question as I have been thinking about that issue. Once the circuit is tested, do you see a problem with doing a EPOXYencapsulation? As it would make it more weather and vibration resistant ???
I was just kicking the thought around to make things as stable as possible :P

A Little picture of my progress I only could only get the 1.2mm bits local so the holes are very big but I will get it taken care of ;D
Take care
Neil

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #241 on: February 20, 2010, 09:36:10 AM »
Hi Neil,

Are you sure you haven't been to Prison?  :P :D
I really like that scraper and the way your making them I will keep that in mind as I build my tool kit up.
Not that I recall ;D
I'm considering making some pages on several homemade tools, as I have made quite a lot over the years - either because it doesn't exist in a ready made version, or like with some of the small knives and scalpels, to make them a better shape or sometimes, by using 2mm saw blades, to make them more rigid.
Not that I think you need advice in that department :)

Hope I haven't screwed anything up, I used the Pickit2 to drop that RGB.hex in one of my "2" 675's I had no idea about the calibration that was already loaded. I will figure out how to check it today or later tonight ::) >:(
For the RGB lamp, timing is not critical, so that shouldn't ruin anything.

I am glad you asked that question as I have been thinking about that issue. Once the circuit is tested, do you see a problem with doing a EPOXYencapsulation? As it would make it more weather and vibration resistant ???
I was just kicking the thought around to make things as stable as possible :P
When it's totally done and verified, first cover it with Plastikote (spray "paint" plastic coating) or similar, to verify that the total isolation won't do strange things due to the better isolation. If that goes well, epoxy is the best solution, but add a small heat sink and epoxy it so that some of the metal is in free air - lets go into the details when we're there.

A Little picture of my progress I only could only get the 1.2mm bits local so the holes are very big but I will get it taken care of ;D
Nice!
Very good for a firstborn ;D
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
  • FOR GET ABOUT IT
« Reply #242 on: February 20, 2010, 06:36:02 PM »
Hi Soren
I'm considering making some pages on several homemade tools
That would be very helpful, I didn't realize until I did that first board, then you see right away that there are going to be needing special tools to do a good job!

Especially if things can be used from around your home, as new tools get pretty expensive. Saves more for the Chips & Dips " they are not very flavorful though" :P
I  Will Update on this calibration memory numbers info, as I am learning more on what to look for while using MPLAB w/ my Pickit2. sorry for the gibberish . ::)

So any ways I wanted to let you know about that the 675 board is complete and ready at what ever time we want to program.

LIKE I SAID NO RUSH HERE, JUST KEEPING YOU UPDATED ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 08:16:01 PM by wheelyneil »
Take care
Neil

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
  • FOR GET ABOUT IT
« Reply #243 on: February 24, 2010, 11:21:01 AM »
Hi Soren
I just wanted to let you know incase it is needed at your end the OSCCALfor the chip in circut is 3434.

Wasn't sure if you needed it or not so I thought I would slip this note to you! ;)
Take care
Neil

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2010, 08:28:19 PM »
Hi Neil,

I just wanted to let you know incase it is needed at your end the OSCCALfor the chip in circut is 3434.

Wasn't sure if you needed it or not so I thought I would slip this note to you! ;)
Thanks. It shouldn't be needed right away, but it's nice to have JIC.
Please check your PM inbox (couldn't email you).

That would be very helpful, I didn't realize until I did that first board, then you see right away that there are going to be needing special tools to do a good job!
When you have done a few boards, I'm sure you get the routine and will only occasionally need to touch up, but don't forget a permanent marker to repair pinholes and such in the toner before you etch.

I'll see if I can make a rig to take photos while I make tools - I'm ordering a remote control (and a macro bellow) for my new cam in a week or so (the Chinese are celebrating their new year, so DealExtreme has been closed down for sales for some time and will be for the rest of the month :().

Especially if things can be used from around your home, as new tools get pretty expensive. Saves more for the Chips & Dips " they are not very flavorful though" :P
Yes - it does depend on the home of course.

Good steel can be found in car springs (leaf springs in particular, if you aren't a trained black smith), worn down shock absorbers have a very hard steel rod in the center (can be cut out with a angle grinder), old spring mattresses may have a fairly useable rim of flat steel as well. Broken hack saw blades never get thrown out at my place and whenever I can lay my paws on a blade from a hydraulic hack saw (those are thick, broad, long and hard as The Hot Place Below - can only be drilled with a carbide drill which glows red while going through it)... Extremely nice material.

Dime store kitchen knives has fairly good steel as well and grinds down to almost any shape (just remember a frequent quenching bath to keep the temper, but that goes for all hardened steel.
Piano wire, the "cutting rods" (don't know the correct term) for a lathe and tungsten electrodes for TIG welding are very usefull to have around as well (I do have to find a cheap source for the TIG electrodes though) and well... A bit of "eye" for moulding it all into useable tools.

Whenever I find useable steel (and other materials), I stock up a bit, to the point of reaching the WAF (Wife Annoyance Factor) - she might disagree that it happened long ago ;)
Remember to tell her how much you save, every time you use some of the stock (also works well when you buy components by the kilo, as long as you remember a small present for her).

Do you have a "Dremel"?
It's close to indispensable, no matter which hobby you choose (bar stamp collecting perhaps).
If not, you could just get a (knock off) flexible extension and mount it on a motor.
The extension can be used with a regular mains driven hand drill.

Dremels (including the numerous knock offs) are a bit too high speed for lots of things and I never use them at full speed anyway. I have a smaller 12V rotary drill with a homegrown speed regulator that goes all the way down to less than useable (with enough power and regulation to keep the speed steady) and it's quite a bit easier to handle for precision work.

It is a good tool for making other tools, but... It WILL break your piggy bank, once you discover the incredible amount of bits (and bobs) that exists for it ;D
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
  • FOR GET ABOUT IT
« Reply #245 on: February 25, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »
Hi Soren
Check your PM  when you see this will ya ??? :P
Take care
Neil

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
  • FOR GET ABOUT IT
« Reply #246 on: February 28, 2010, 03:14:32 PM »
Hello Soeren
I just got home from my little Hostel stay ;) the VANCOMI seems to be doing the JOB ;D

I loaded the Hex and still no luck.

That being said, wait until you do any more work on the program. I am going to set up a couple small LED light flashing programs to make sure I am doing and loading thing correctly.

Even though it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY I would or could make a mistake :o :P :D ;D

Really I just want to make sure your work is not in vain, because I am doing something wrong ;)

I'll get back with you after I run a couple test and program another chip I have.

And yes I agree no matter how proud you are of the little devils, they are a bit ugly out of the gate thank goodness for Cave Women or we would have never made it :D
Take care
Neil

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #247 on: February 28, 2010, 04:05:38 PM »
Hi Neil,

I just got home from my little Hostel stay ;) the VANCOMI seems to be doing the JOB ;D
Great to hear  ;D ;D ;D

Even though it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY I would or could make a mistake :o :P :D ;D
OK then, I'm a bit curious about what the 'scope would tell?

[...] thank goodness for Cave Women or we would have never made it :D
Agreed ;)
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
  • FOR GET ABOUT IT
« Reply #248 on: March 02, 2010, 01:15:18 PM »
Hello Soeren
I went and set up a couple small circits with LED's to test if I was doing things right with the pickit2. In both cases I loaded a hex into a 675 and then ran them both programs did as they we're wrote blinking the leds as told in description. So a I am pretty sure I am loading the programs properly :P :) :-\

Well I hope a picture is worth a thousand words ::)

I didn't get any servo movement except from 5v supply for the servo, but no PWM

I took V measurements and hooked to the scope and these are the results.

I  do have 2 questions " how is it that there is no voltage drop between R3 and Q1" And this one has nothing to do with our work but lets say you needed to use a signal at the Emitter of Q1 to send a pulse, with it being a NPN would you use a pull up resistor to make high impedance to VSS. ::) Hope that wasn't a silly question :P

Well here are the Pictures I will wait to hear from you, I have to lay down for a bit and give that leg a rest ;)
Take care
Neil

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #249 on: March 02, 2010, 04:34:33 PM »
Hi Neil,

I went and set up a couple small circits with LED's to test if I was doing things right with the pickit2. In both cases I loaded a hex into a 675 and then ran them both programs did as they we're wrote blinking the leds as told in description. So a I am pretty sure I am loading the programs properly :P :) :-\
Did you burn and run the LED programs into the '675 on the PCB or in another one?
If another one, please try the one on the board (just connect the LED with wires).
(Not that I think there's anything wrong with the PCB or the assembly, besides what's mentioned below ;))

I took V measurements and hooked to the scope and these are the results.
D1 and D2 seems to be shorted.
Not that it should keep it from working, but it needs to be fixed anyhow.
Please repeat the voltage measurements when that's fixed.

I  do have 2 questions " how is it that there is no voltage drop between R3 and Q1"
Err, what?
R3 is connected to the collector of Q1, so it's a short, you might say. I guess this is not what you meant?

And this one has nothing to do with our work but lets say you needed to use a signal at the Emitter of Q1 to send a pulse, with it being a NPN would you use a pull up resistor to make high impedance to VSS. ::) Hope that wasn't a silly question :P
No, you would use the collector of a PNP, as the emitter of an NPN is from 0.0V to 0.7V below the base, so won't work like you picture it.
Do you have a particular situation in mind, that you need to mod or were you just wondering?

Well here are the Pictures I will wait to hear from you, I have to lay down for a bit and give that leg a rest ;)
Have a quick recovery!
(And tell your GF that regular massages may help ;))
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
  • FOR GET ABOUT IT
« Reply #250 on: March 02, 2010, 11:05:32 PM »
Hi Soeren

Well the chip was bad. And D1, D2 shorted :P

I replaced everything, new Chip and Diodes.

Okay I took the LED program and did a ICSP loaded it and hooked up the LED and it was working, then I attached the servo to it's connector and it started to pulse with the light. As you can see in the Video.

I the erased the chip and programed the SERVO. hex file into the chip, and had no responce or pulses on the trace.

I went back and erased the chip again and loaded the LED.hex and it started again as soon as the pickit finished loading.

AS for my questions earlier please ignore them ::) I have tied you up for a very long time and I should not get off  topic.
I know you were kind enough to help me with the circuits but I'm sure you had NOOOO! intentions of MARRIAGE :D :P :) ;D

So here are the latest Pic's and Vid's
I am sorry for dragging you in all this mud I've Made ::) :'(

[youtube=640,505]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPmGRW7Kgss[/youtube]
Take care
Neil

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #251 on: March 03, 2010, 07:42:58 AM »
Hi Neil,

Well the chip was bad. And D1, D2 shorted :P
Great. Not that it was bad of course, but that it's sorted now.

I the erased the chip and programed the SERVO. hex file into the chip, and had no responce or pulses on the trace.
Which of the servo.hex files did you try?

I went back and erased the chip again and loaded the LED.hex and it started again as soon as the pickit finished loading.
Good, but don't drive the servo for more than a few moments like that, just in case.

AS for my questions earlier please ignore them ::) I have tied you up for a very long time and I should not get off  topic.
No problem and if it's relevant to help you understand the function of transistors...
But you decide if it's better to wait.
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
  • FOR GET ABOUT IT
« Reply #252 on: March 03, 2010, 09:13:09 AM »
Hi Soeren
The Hex file I used was the very last one you sent. http://that.homepage.dk/Img/Servo_Test_02.hex
I was going to try the other files but I think I deleted them forgetting they were in my PM BOX. ::)

I found ver1 hex going to try it :P

No problem and if it's relevant to help you understand the function of transistors...
I am sure I will have a chance later to ask a few questions. :P  
I just feel bad because of using so much of your time and now the 675 is being a pain to write a program for because of timing issue and such.

So I'll keep my uncontrolled urges to suck your brain dry till a later day ;) :D

UPDATE USING VERS_1.0 HEX

Watch and be amazed :P :D ;D "THE CARNIVAL MAN YELLS TO THE CROWD"IT WALKS, IT TALKS, IT CRAWLS ON IT BELLY LIKE A SNAKE all this for just 1 krone  come in come in ::) :D
[youtube=640,505]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxkEC6fiT-g[/youtube]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:40:55 AM by wheelyneil »
Take care
Neil

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
  • FOR GET ABOUT IT
« Reply #253 on: March 03, 2010, 01:06:21 PM »
Hi Soeren
I wanted to send this Video of the Signal Pulses from the 675.

I though it be more helpful than watching the servo move back and forth ::) ::) ::) ::) :P DUH!

The scope was set @ 5v/div and 1mS/div

I am glad to see some responce to the program, as I am sure you are ;)

OH yes, almost forgot, after the little componet failure I went and got a 30x jewelers eye piece, it was amazing to see the small hair like spots that were trying to bridge. I just cant believe these 51 year old eyes cant see that little stuff :'( I am still not sure where the issue was but I took a dental fine tip tool and cleaned around the tracks and it seemed to do the trick :)

I am going to add a heat sink to the 7805 it get hot fast, and as you say IT CANT HURT ;)

[youtube=640,505]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8yhUK3PpMA[/youtube]
Take care
Neil

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #254 on: March 03, 2010, 06:12:01 PM »
Hi Neil,

Yay, I was starting to think I couldn't even make a test program ;)

Wonder why ver.2 of the hex didn't work, as it was much simpler, but who cares now, the interrupt version seems to be OK, so I'll continue with that.

But it'll have to wait, as I have to get up early and call the hardware store, so it's close to bedtime.

I just spend around $600 on hardware and they was very busy almost pushing me out of the store, as I was the last customer, so I didn't get a (quite expensive) SDS drill set i bought with me home and later I see a post on the receipt that was an error that they just didn't remove (allright, it was just about $4, but I'm allready P'd off at their hurrying a customer into not getting all the goods) - and I thought I was going to drill a lot tomorrow, now I have to spend a couple of hours in transport :(

Tomorrow evening I'll continue with the proggie - can't hammer drill the walls in the evening anyway.
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
  • FOR GET ABOUT IT
« Reply #255 on: March 03, 2010, 07:24:33 PM »
Hi Soeren

I was starting to think I couldn't even make a test program
If ever in doubt or there is a problem, always look in my direction first as in writing programs, it would be the most LOGICAL STEP :P

But it'll have to wait, as I have to get up early and call the hardware store
No Rush here, I have plenty of stuff to keep me in trouble, I am  working on a DMX Dongle assembly, I am going to do a little Christmas show this coming year.

almost pushing me out of the store
HELLO SHOPPERS PLEASE LEAVE MONEY AND GET OUT!!!!! Don't ya just love that >:(
Those SDS bits are great, with the way the shanks move in the Hammer drill chuck to increase efficiency while drilling stone or masonry materials.

can't hammer drill the walls in the evening anyway.
I know it's kinda like me starting that V8 at 3am it makes everyone a little on edge ;) :D ;D
Take care
Neil

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
  • FOR GET ABOUT IT
« Reply #256 on: March 05, 2010, 02:02:57 PM »
Hope the stone work went well :P
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 08:52:02 PM by wheelyneil »
Take care
Neil

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #257 on: March 16, 2010, 05:12:12 PM »
Hi,

Just in case anyone wondered... This is still alive and kickin', but we're going back and forth with the programming, to solve the timing and bang it all into the '675.

This tread will be updated, as soon as there is something which might be of public interest.
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
  • FOR GET ABOUT IT
« Reply #258 on: March 17, 2010, 08:35:16 AM »
Hello Forum

I just wanted to post this link. It has some good information on making a good home brew PCB's. There have been a  few followers of this thread and thought maybe 1 or 2 that could use the information :-\

I posted it in another thread but wanted to set it here so anyone that needs it might see it here :P

Good Home Made PCB's
Take care
Neil

Offline Daanii

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #259 on: March 18, 2010, 01:52:28 PM »
Hi,

Just in case anyone wondered... This is still alive and kickin', but we're going back and forth with the programming, to solve the timing and bang it all into the '675.

This tread will be updated, as soon as there is something which might be of public interest.

Thanks for the update. I've been following this project for months. Look forward to seeing the governor in action, turning that wood into electricity.

Offline Daanii

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #260 on: April 11, 2010, 11:47:39 AM »
What happened to this project? Any progress?

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #261 on: April 12, 2010, 09:40:33 PM »
Hi,

What happened to this project? Any progress?
Well, yes and no.

Progress as in, we've dropped the servo since it would never really hold up for long in an outside job 24/7/365. It wasn't until the circuit behaved reasonably stable (just a little jitter was left to solve) that I really thought this to an end and decided that it would probably die really quick, as R/C fliers spend perhaps a couple of hours a week flying and this is gonna be mounted on a vibrating and hot engine outdoors in all kinds of weather.

To replace the servo, a ball screw seems to be what we've settled on. Worm drives and ready made linear actuators was considered, but I think they're too expensive, compared to a partly home made one.
It all depends on what machinery Neil has got access to of course.
In a home made actuator, you also have the opportunity to oversize and just that you know every part of it will help, should it break down (which it shouldn't of course, if just greased properly) and it's possible to select a motor where the brushes are replaceable.

There is going to be a few extras as well, like automatic shutdown if oil pressure is lost, perhaps remote start and shut down, remote coolant temperature thermometer and what not - Had it been an EFI system, we wouldn't even need an actuator, just tapping into the ECU and wiggle the bits about.

No progress as in, right now Neil is busy with other stuff, while he ponders over which extras should be added, when I have a list of that, I'll find a couple of useable controllers and we start making it.

While I wait for the list, I have been toying with an old idea (revisited often since I was a kid) - an automatic gear selector for my bicycle and I'm close to starting a prototype now - just need to finish the drawing of a cog wheel and find a place to get it cut in brass without selling my soul  ;D
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

Offline Daanii

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #262 on: April 14, 2010, 05:01:40 PM »
Thanks for the information. And good luck with the projects.

Get Your Ad Here