Author Topic: XP vs. Vista  (Read 3013 times)

Offline SeagullOneTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Humans and Robots working together for our future.
    • Loren John Presley - Author, Artist, Roboteer
XP vs. Vista
« on: January 06, 2009, 04:36:27 PM »
I'm thinking about using Windows XP for my robot NINA (not vista). After reading some posts about vista versus XP (and linux), I've been giving it some thought.

My main concern, however, is this:

How good is the speech recognition in XP versus Windows Vista? Is it any better or worse at recognizing words correctly (depending on how much you train it of course?) How easy is it to customize the speech dictionary in XP?

I love the speech recognition in Vista, but I've never tried it on XP. (I do have an XP desktop in the house, but its really old, really slow, and is running on the bare minumum.)

Also, I'd use linux in a heartbeat if it suited my application, but if I did so, speech recognition wouldn't be that hot, and I'd lose the ease of Roborealm...

Thanks in advance.
I think the chauffeur did it.

He did.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
Re: XP vs. Vista
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:38:55 PM »
have you though of wine... It's an XP emu for linux... you may run roborealm there with easy...
For whom the interrupts toll...

paulstreats

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 05:27:43 PM »
The example that you gave (speech recognition) is not an operating system issue. Its a software issue.

Speech recognition can more than likely be done to the same caliber on xp,vista and linux. It just takes the right program

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 07:47:07 PM »
Interesting, TrickyNekro. I've heard of Wine, but I didn't know much about it. Now, is Wine more memory and power efficient than a typical windows XP, because its linux? That would be awesome!

Also, thanks, paulstreats! I'll do some research on the right program for speech recognition. Maybe I can find a really good one for linux! I heard airman had some trouble with other speech recognition software though...but I'll see what turns up for me.

He did.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 08:09:04 PM »
Okay so I did my research and found out that Roborealm does in fact appear to work on Wine! But webcams...not so great.

I think for now I'll stick with getting Windows XP. Or maybe even salvaging the O.S. from the desktop I have and upgrading the memory and whatnot...Hmmm ::)

He did.

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 08:47:16 AM »
I don't think Roborealm will work with Wine because of driver issues. For speech recognition on linux, Sphinx works OK http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/html/cmusphinx.php.
Robots are awesome!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list