Author Topic: joystick, ubuntu, control robot.  (Read 7003 times)

Offline offyTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
joystick, ubuntu, control robot.
« on: March 17, 2009, 03:34:35 PM »
I  have a joystick hooked up to ubuntu (can use xp if needed but would like to stick with ubuntu) and I want to be able to move my robot, forward, back, turn, and turn. Very basic. I would like to know what parts.

Microcontroller: Roboduino
Motors: 2x HS-311 servo
Sensor: IR Range Finder (will be disabled in RC mode)

Thanks in advanced.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: joystick, ubuntu, control robot.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:55:56 PM »
Hi,

I would like to know what parts.
Of your question that's missing?  ;)

Please read your own post, to see if you can guess the missing parts - I can't.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 04:07:30 PM »
what parts would I need to make it so I can control my robot with a joystick? Does that make sense now?

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 04:19:02 PM »
Not quite.

Here's the form you should use:

I have this problem... (Description of entire problem).
I want to do this... (Description of what you wanna do - and what you dson't wanna do if appliccable)
I have this tools... (Des...)
Etc.

I can't find any info in your post stating anything about where the PC, the ROVer or anything else goes, whether you want to connect them with wires, wireless (and if so at what kind, what frequency etc.), whether the PC is a part of your ROV'er etc.
Please READ your own post like you didn't know the problem!
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 04:24:03 PM »
Problem: I have a robot that is anonymous, I want to make it so it will be able to be controled with a joystick wireless from my laptop. (WiFi or bluetooth)

I want to do this: I want to be able to have my joystick hooked up to my computer, than be able to move around my robot with up, down, left, and right using wifi or bluetooth.

Tools: Soldering iron, soldering gun, tons of screw drivers, wrenches, sockets, and more. Tools are not a problem unless it is crazy tool that 1/1000000 of the world owns.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 05:24:55 PM »
Hi,

Problem: I have a robot that is anonymous,
A hot paint job should cure that, or perhaps a membership in Automations Anonymous might help  :P

Tools include a DVM and perhaps an oscilloscope?  (screwdrivers etc. is kind of secondary here, we're interrested in electron flows rather than "plumming").

I would suggest going with Bluetooth as the cheapest solution if it has to be one of them.
Much easier to hook up an R/C-transmitter (or build the transmitter stage and let software handle the protocol) though.

Apart from that...
You've told us what you want to do, but what is your exact question (or do you just want the finished solution).

If you don't know where to start, I suggest reading up on the subject and then come back when you have exact questions.
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 05:59:32 PM »
I have been reading up on some tutorials, but all of them are wired, not wireless. I want wireless. I am so new at this. I know how to do it, just don't know the parts I will need.

I have a roboduino
A joystick
Servos
And a bluetooth computer adapter.

What would I need to get the signal from my computer to my robot, read it, and than run that.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 06:10:23 PM »
Is there a bluetooth modem with the hitec headers all ready attached? Also that was what I was looking for, thanks.

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 06:39:30 PM »
No, I would reccomend just getting a bunch of breakaway female headers. They plug in like the molex/hitec connectors, but you solder wires to them and they are much cheaper.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 06:50:07 PM »
I have been looking on the picture on narobo.com, but I can't seem to make out what wire goes where. If someone could get a pic of the modem, and add wires to it in paint or something that would be great. Also are there some good modems for like $25 or around that, instead of $60.

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 06:54:54 PM »
Ill show you a link to a $25 bluetooth receiver if you can show me where to buy a $10,000 Ferrari  ;)

You just hook up power, ground, and TX RX to the UART of the microcontroller

paulstreats

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 07:07:36 PM »
would you prefer just to hack an r/c car for the remote control and receiver board? or just use the car itself for the same goal.

The roboduino can sit on top for doing other stuff if you want it to, but a remote controlled robot is just going to be a remote controlled robot. or car.

Mixing AUTONOMOUS  ;D and radio control is a tricky topic, do the autonomous functions from the sensors override the remote control or the other way around or is there an override threshhold and in what circumstances and can you override the overrides and in what circumstances?

I know this doesnt seem helpful but radio control already exists prolifically so why not just modify one

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 07:17:38 PM »
I am going to set it so if a signal from my computer, the sensors will turn off, if no signal, sensors turn on.

I have my robot built already, just adding on to it. I think I am going to buy the bluetooth reciever that narobo showed.

paulstreats

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »
How are you going to translate the joystick movements to the bluetooth transmitter?

joystick - linux computer - software layer???????? - bluetooth transmitter - bluetooth reciever - roboduino - software layer - actuators

youll have to develope a software in linux that takes in joystick movements then translates those to an ascii character that can the be sent to the microcontroller where youll have to examine the recieved character and do something depending on what it is.

To begin, I would take the joystick out of the process, just use keyboard characters with a terminal program.

I presume using a bluetooth transmitter(you need a transmitter aswell as a reciever) on a computer you will need to be able to access this programatically. Do you know how to do this?

Im not being negative, i just want you to think about future problems before commiting money to something.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 07:38:44 PM »
I was thinking about using the keyboard arrows, and I think I am going to. I have a transmitter, I bought one from newegg.com a while back. I know how to connect to stuff via bluetooth.

paulstreats

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 07:52:41 PM »
one more and i'll get off your case  ;D

when you press an arrow on the computer, how does this transfer bia bluetooth? it doesnt just automatically happen. Sending files through bluetooth happens through a third party software layer. Do you have a third party layer for sending plain ascii on a keystroke event or are you capable of making such a system?

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 07:55:31 PM »
There are some programs like that I think, like a terminal.

Let me do some googleing for a few, than I will update my post.

Axon Bluetooth Tutorial
Axon bluetooth control servos.

But the goal is to make it so when I open a program, I will type in up down left right (arrow keys) and than use the sample code on narabo blue tooth lights but change the values.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 08:01:54 PM by offy »

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 08:22:27 AM »
Would this work?

http://www.robotshop.us/inex-zx-bluetooth.html

it has Rx, Tx, and power somewhere... and it comes with easy cables to use.

Also does the power and gnd go into the female header?

Get Your Ad Here

data_list