Author Topic: Professional pcbs for you  (Read 2074 times)

Offline neopj3Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Professional pcbs for you
« on: February 21, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »
I'm just curious as to what the demand for professionally populated pcbs would be.  I'm concidering laying out the $30 microcontroler as a small and perfect little unit.  the only through hole parts would be the microcontroler and the header pins and a hand full of other parts.  Thee passives would be SMT and about 805 - 402 (mm x mm)  ;)in size.  This way the board won't take up a huge part of the robot.  I work for a CM that specializes in PCB population and the finished PCB's will look great.  What does everyone think?  I'd like to get everone's input on this and if hte demand is great enough I can get a quote going for it.  good or bad let me know. 8)

Offline neopj3Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Re: Professional pcbs for $30. microcontroller project
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 05:52:37 PM »
anybody have any input???????

Offline Shags

• Helpful? 0
Re: Professional pcbs for you
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 08:07:09 PM »
I would be interested in seeing what you can come up with neopj3.  I just bought an Arduino-compatible board kit and a really tiny version their rbbb kit http://moderndevice.com/RBBB.shtml as well (thought I could use it for a micro robot project.  Both are kits which I personally like.  Consider offering yours both ways (it sold me).  Also I want boards that allow me to create objects that run the board.  I really don't want to have everything created for me without any room to create my own classes and objects.  I also would want to be able to program your board in C++ or C at least.  Java would be my third favorite programming language.  Also see if you can put some memory size into the board so that a more complex program (make the bot serve many different functions (line following, object avoidence, patrolling) in one program.  I am interested mostly in creating robots with some sort of purpose and when you go there the bot needs to have more than one purpose so having enough memory or at the very least being able to create and destroy objects is a must.

I am new to this so maybe I am talking pipe dreams here but I would be interested in seeing pictures of a prototype as well as specs.  If you were talking an existing design I apologize but with you working for a CM maybe you can come up with an original design that meets some of the fringe demands out there.  Anyway I will give you $30 for it even if it is parts I have to assemble it myself, but if you go that route I want to understand the circuit and how everything is interacting (education is key).  Check out the RBBB I mentioned above.  Sounds pretty neat and I think it hits a fringe market looking for full functionalilty on an itty bitty scale.
Matt (aka Shags, hey you have to keep at least one nickname)