go away spammer

Author Topic: ATMega 8 I/O Ports  (Read 4968 times)

Offline BretTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
    • Bret Jordan
ATMega 8 I/O Ports
« on: November 26, 2008, 09:13:21 AM »
I'm new to Robotics and am working on the $50.00 robot. While looking at the ATMega8 Microcontroller I saw some pins that weren't being used. Specifially these pins are PD5 (T1), PD6 (AIN0), and PD7 (AIN1). My question is, can these pins be set up like the other PD pins, as discrete I/O?

I'm new to microprocessors and C code, though I am slowly figuring it out. Is there anywhere I can go to better understand the acronyms, such as 'T1', 'AINx', 'INTx', etc., and what they mean? I am familiar with some of it, such as 'TX', 'RX', etc., and some of it I have picked up, such as 'ADCx', but if I had a link to these acronyms I probably wouldn't have to ask such stupid questions.  :-[

Offline BEAMer

• Helpful? 0
Re: ATMega 8 I/O Ports
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 09:16:52 AM »
just look the datasheet of the controller. it will give you options of how to choose between these peripheral inputs and general purpose I/O. most of the pins are general purpose I/O multiplexed with some peripheral pins....

For your info Ain means analog inputs and INT means interrupt etc

BEAMer

• Helpful? 0
    • Bret Jordan
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 09:48:28 AM »
Thank you, BEAMer!

I downloaded the PDF and it looks like those pins can be used as regular I/O or configured for special purposes such as a timer (T1) or analog comparator (AINx). A lot of it is Greek to me still, for instance I don't have a clue how to use the special purpose stuff yet, but it's slowly sinking in. Sorry I didn't look at that to begin with, but when I first opened the PDF file up a week or so ago it was as confusing as a legal document...and still is for the most part, but I think I understood enough to get my question answered.

Thanks again!
   ~Bret
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 09:50:52 AM by Bret »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 02:30:32 AM »
datasheets are definitely scary looking for beginners . . . just bear with it, study it, rack your brain . . .

because understanding a datasheet (including the 400+ page Atmel datasheets) is a required skill to be an expert robot builder.

• Helpful? 0
    • Bret Jordan
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 07:16:53 AM »
Yeah, being a beginner robot builder is both intimidating and exciting. There is all the new technical specs, c code, unfamiliar electronics, and unfamiliar mechanics to think about so at times it seems overwhelming, but each day it is a little better as it becomes more familiar.

With the ATMega8, when I looked at the data sheet a week or so ago I just skimmed through it, gulped, and then shut the PDF file. When BEAMer redirected me back to it this time I found the information I was looking for and it even made sense...well most of it anyway.

Hopefully one day I will be able to participate in this forum by answering questions instead of asking.  ;D

Get Your Ad Here