Author Topic: Cellular controlled robot  (Read 2817 times)

Offline AsellithTopic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
Cellular controlled robot
« on: February 05, 2008, 11:24:46 AM »
I came across a neat little module that has java embedded in it and is essentially a cell phone. But it has access to several external peripheral that would be nice for robotics. The module is a little picky about it's power and how stuff is connected to it. So my thought was to build a breakout board and a small robot controller for the module and produce some PCBs of it. The module has I/Os and ADC as well as UARTs and even USB. So my thought was a simple robot controller using java as a language and if need be you can drop a sim card in and have it report back to email/sms/tcp what ever your desire. I'm working on the power supply design now. What kind of power output would be good for a small 2 motor wheeled robot? Also what else would you all like to see on something like this?
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Cellular controlled robot
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:08:50 AM »
What kind of power output would be good for a small 2 motor wheeled robot?
Enough for at least 3 servos and sensors . . . I'd say 2A at 6V for 12W would give a nice comfortable margin.

Offline AsellithTopic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
Re: Cellular controlled robot
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 11:07:38 AM »
The module requires 2A for itself. Something about a burst transmission mode that draws 2 amps. So my first thought was to install some opto-isolators and pull all the digital signals out and run a separate 5 volt system for all external electronics because the cell module is picky about power and runs off a weird 4 - 3.3 volt system. Not sure how to do servo control yet. Might have to some controllers for that. I have enough DIOs to put some servo controls and maybe even a cheap H-bridge for some DC motors incase someone wants to do something with those. still working out the kinks in the design now and learning Eagle cad.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Get Your Ad Here

data_list