Author Topic: PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED ON BUILDING THE $40 ROBOT  (Read 1606 times)

Offline sohailsamejaTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED ON BUILDING THE $40 ROBOT
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:36:53 AM »
 This topic is about the http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/59

1)can i use a motors from a cd drive,fan instead of the 100rpm dc 9v motors?
2)The first step I fried my green LED(no short circuit) can the problem be the breadboard(which is in series)?
3)The soldering diagram seems wrong(original) I wanted someone to confirm mine(https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oeil8tyw6kt6cj/1.pdf)
4)has any one tested the speed and accuracy.
KAMIKAZE CHASER

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED ON BUILDING THE $40 ROBOT
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
1)can i use a motors from a cd drive,fan instead of the 100rpm dc 9v motors?
Of course You can, although You do need to use gearbox to reduce angular velocity and increase torque, also, CD Drive and Fan motors aren't the same type as the ones used in the tutorial, these are brushless motors that require different motor driver (which is more complex than for brushed DC motor).
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline Mastermime

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »
2)The first step I fried my green LED(no short circuit) can the problem be the breadboard(which is in series)?

I have not made a robot from this tutorial, but my first thoughts that come to mind when I hear a fried LED are;

Did you include the resistor?
Did you solder the LED in the correct orientation?  http://tuxgraphics.org/common/images2/article07081/redled.gif

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 03:47:11 PM »
so i am removing one from a dvd-drive so plese tell me what to do,
I am using l293d(is it ok)
can i use altered wheels to increase torque
OK, DVD drive motor (the one that spins the disk) is brushless motor and, as far as I know, has at least 3 phases, meaning that it requires at least 3 H-bridges, where one L293D chip has only 2. Also, to drive brushless motor You need to know when to transition from one phase to the other. To achieve that some motors output some sort of digital signal (a tick) when phase should be changed, other motors don't, so You have to add encoder Yourself. As for torque, reducing wheel radius will increase final max output torque.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Get Your Ad Here