Author Topic: Amplifing a ethernet connection?  (Read 3865 times)

Offline BANETopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
Amplifing a ethernet connection?
« on: September 02, 2007, 10:07:56 AM »
Does anybody have any idea how to make your own, or buy a cheap one, ethernet amplifier?  I'm trying to get internet to my room which is about 150ft from the router to my room.  I made a 150ft ethernet cable and everything is connected correctly, only my computer says that it has limited connectivity.  I'm assuming that the router doesn't have enough power so I'm looking to find a amplifier for it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated , even if your saying that what I'm trying to do is impossible or just crazy!

Bane

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
Re: Amplifing a ethernet connection?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 10:52:36 AM »
hi Bane,
according to the specs the maximum cable length for ethernet running on CAT5e cable is 100 meters.
in the real world you can get ethernet to run for 150 to 200 meters as long as you don't route the cable past any large power cables.
likewise plain old CAT5 cable will *usually* work instead of CAT5e.
so you should be fine with 150ft (45 meters) of either CAT5 or CAT5e cable.

this all presumes you have used twisted pair cable and connected the right cores of the cable to the right pins in the RJ45 plug.
CAT5e and CAT5 cable are twisted pair cables.
it is vital certain pins in the RJ45 connector share a pair.

so, first question: are you using proper CAT5e rated cable? CAT5e should be written on the outer sheath of the cable (but isn't always).
next question: are you using one of the standard pin outs? http://pinouts.ru/NetworkCables/Ethernet10BaseTStraightThru_pinout.shtml

it really should not be necessary to use any sort of repeater for this distance.

dunk.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 12:20:42 PM »
I had the same problem...
The cable was long and patched!!!
I had started thinking of a charge pump IC (MAX232), but haven't really tested it...
When you said repeater what did you mean. (I consider repeater as the opposite of access point!!!)

Just keep in mind that when using a lan cable u really use two pairs!!!

Tricky
For whom the interrupts toll...

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 01:50:09 PM »
hi Bane,
according to the specs the maximum cable length for ethernet running on CAT5e cable is 100 meters.
in the real world you can get ethernet to run for 150 to 200 meters as long as you don't route the cable past any large power cables.
likewise plain old CAT5 cable will *usually* work instead of CAT5e.
so you should be fine with 150ft (45 meters) of either CAT5 or CAT5e cable.

this all presumes you have used twisted pair cable and connected the right cores of the cable to the right pins in the RJ45 plug.
CAT5e and CAT5 cable are twisted pair cables.
it is vital certain pins in the RJ45 connector share a pair.

so, first question: are you using proper CAT5e rated cable? CAT5e should be written on the outer sheath of the cable (but isn't always).
next question: are you using one of the standard pin outs? http://pinouts.ru/NetworkCables/Ethernet10BaseTStraightThru_pinout.shtml

it really should not be necessary to use any sort of repeater for this distance.

dunk.

Hey dunk!

Thanks for the tips but i've got the right cable and connections and i've just tested a one foot piece of the wire (CAT5E) and it worked perfectly.  Than I connected it to the 150 coil of wire (I took it out of were I had it running) right in front of the router and the same thing happened (limited connectivity message).   I'm really thinking if my best bet is to get a wireless router and eat the bill. 

Any other advice?

Bane

Offline jhonilson

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 02:48:28 PM »
      Hi Amigo.
      I have had the same  problem before (several times) and  guessed..!  the netcard was damaged... :-[   yes the netcard are damaged inexplicably..! ???
      I recommend you that try you netcard or pc near the router or in other connection (you neighbor for example).

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 03:58:06 PM »
hi Bane,
no problem.
Than I connected it to the 150 coil of wire
this wire is also CAT5e right?

so 90% of the time you have a bad cable it's a problem with the crimping on the RJ45 connectors.
ideally i'd lent you a cable tester but in the absence of one of those,
get a multimeter and test the connectivity of each strand end to end.
also test for shorts between pins.

but hey, it's possible that your wiring is fine and that it is your interfaces that aren't delivering the required power.
i've run a lot of long CAT5e cable in the past but usually it's plugged into commercial equipment that conforms to the RFCs so it is possible you are experiencing something different from what i have seen.

your initial question about an ethernet amplifier:
it's not really possible to build one without a *lot* of effort but any ethernet switch will regenerate the signal.
if you have an old switch sitting around try using that between your computer and the long network cable.

dunk.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 06:34:00 AM »
Hi dunk

The one foot piece of wire I used was a piece of the 150ft, so everything that I've tested has been the same CAT5E wire.

I tested all eight wires with a voltage meter and a 6v 300mA batter pack.  Everything tested out fine but the voltage that appeared on the voltage meter was about 2.5v.  I'm assuming that the wire is using up about 3.5v!  I don't know too much about the signal that an ethernet cable carries but this kind of backs up what I assumed in the first place (the cable absorbing most of the signal).

Anything I'm missing?
Is there a stronger router that I can buy that can support that much footage?

Thanks

Bane

Offline Kohanbash

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 06:49:43 AM »
The cable should not have that much resistance (ie. you should not drop 3.5v). Try using an ohmmeter/continuity tester to make sure all the wires have a low impedance (resistance).

It sounds like the best idea is to just get a switch and use it as a signal amplifier/conditioner/repeater.

Also if you do have that much signal loss it would explain why the cable is not working.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 06:52:03 AM by sdk32285 »
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 07:22:10 AM »
Hey I've got a question, I'm unfamiliar with the "switch" thing you guys are talking about. 

Could someone give me a link to a website that has info on it?

thanks! ;)

Bane

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
hi Bane,
switch:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch
many broadband routers have a switch built into them.

what sdk32285 is suggesting is to leave one end of you cable plugged into your broadband router and plug the other one into a 2nd switch then plug your PC into a port on the 2nd switch.

this is all presuming it is the network card on your PC that is not delivering enough power.
(which is the most likely but not necessarily correct.)

dunk.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 01:51:20 PM »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list