Author Topic: maby a arduino usb board for monk?  (Read 6693 times)

Offline maverick monkTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
maby a arduino usb board for monk?
« on: June 28, 2007, 10:03:39 AM »
ok,  i was looking for parts for my main board yesterday, and i found this
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=666
Arduino USB Board

now, it says it has problems with an external psu, dose that meen like a wall supply? can i still use batteries and not have to swap resistors?

i see it has female pins instead of the studlier male veriety, should i get male header pins and solder those onto my sensors?
im going to guess that the output from my analog ir/sonar will go in a analog in ( im certain pf that) but do i then stick all of my ground wires into that one ground terminal?

how will i wire my dual h bridge in?

im looking at this because its cheaper then getting all the parts to put together the homebuilt circut. i also dont trust my soldering skills too well yet.
please answer soon, if my friend gives me the 20 he owes me ill get this tomorow

edit, what plugs into the 6 pins at the top of the board... sensors? im looking at all the information i can but this is all so new to me, ive learned alot already but this electronics stuff is like its own language
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 10:05:26 AM by maverick monk »

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
Re: maby a arduino usb board for monk?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 10:51:38 AM »
Your most likely going to need to make something called a "sheild" for the Arduino. It is pref board that you put male headers into so it fits on top of the Arduino. From there you can do all the soldering on that pref board and it will connect directly to the Arduino board. Look at mine, I used the L298 H-Bridge for mine. Also check out my instructable, I talk about it a little bit there http://web.instructables.com/id/EXDGV5CF36FEUOP/

Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline megaman935

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 11:07:08 AM »
In case you want to know, for that Usb board (it doesn't tell you for some reason)
The measurements are as follows:
Length: 2.7"
Width: 2.1"
Height: 0.5"

Offline Hal9000

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 03:57:49 PM »
There's loads of tutorials on the arduino site, yo.

That's probably the best thing about the arduino infact.
"The truth is, you can't hide from the truth, cos the truth is all there is" - Handsome Boy Modeling School

Offline megaman935

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 04:20:35 PM »
And it does/has almost EVERYTHING
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 04:21:24 PM by megaman935 »

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 08:46:04 AM »
for a shield i might go with this
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=7914 kit and just swap out the female headers with male ones, its nice and clean, and has room for a breadboard, also, i like the fact that its printed so i dont have to deal with connecting things together with little bits of wire

edit, what do the momentary switches do?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 08:51:54 AM by maverick monk »

Offline Sain

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 08:24:31 PM »
Your most likely going to need to make something called a "sheild" for the Arduino. It is pref board that you put male headers into so it fits on top of the Arduino. From there you can do all the soldering on that pref board and it will connect directly to the Arduino board. Look at mine, I used the L298 H-Bridge for mine. Also check out my instructable, I talk about it a little bit there http://web.instructables.com/id/EXDGV5CF36FEUOP/

Is this the same board your talking about in step 4 of your instructable that you said would cost $30 to get printed?

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 09:32:07 PM »
NO! this is my temporary prefboard prototype of the circuit. sorry I don't have any pics of the printed one yet, but I will get those pics up on the instructable asap

—Thomas Edison

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 09:27:10 AM »
this arduino board looks like it dosent have a  5v regulator, will i have to build one on the shield? also, whats that black plug port, is that for external power?
on the arduino shield kit on spark fun, what do the momentary switches do?

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 11:54:12 AM »
1. the Arduino DOES have a 5v regulator
2. NO its already on the board
3. that "black plug port" or as most people call it a DC power jack is to supply 7-22 volts from a wall-wart or 9v battery to the Arduino externally
4. one of the switches is the reset I believe, and the other is for prototyping so you can use it for whatever you want it for

what is the problem with you people and reading? Every one of your questions is answered if you would take a minute to read about the Arduino board on its website. Holy fricken cow!!!

—Thomas Edison

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 05:44:23 PM »
what is the problem with you people and reading? Every one of your questions is answered if you would take a minute to read about the Arduino board on its website. Holy fricken cow!!!

deep breaths Brandon.
breath.
now then, calmly suggest the nice people JFGI.

dunk.

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 09:29:14 PM »
My apologizes everybody! I just get tied of people asking what color the sky is, before they even look up.

—Thomas Edison

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 08:54:12 AM »
what if i said i looked at the sky, bit didnt know the name of the color?
i have no problem googling somthing, or looking at the website, but when i look at the specs, i dont understand most of it, im trying to learn, and i am, i knowthe difference betyween analog and didgital, understand a 3 pin interface, and understand what variouse parts do, however, when it comes to schematics, i am lost. sorry,

Offline megaman935

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 07:39:51 AM »
what if i said i looked at the sky, bit didnt know the name of the color?
i have no problem googling somthing, or looking at the website, but when i look at the specs, i dont understand most of it, im trying to learn, and i am, i knowthe difference betyween analog and didgital, understand a 3 pin interface, and understand what variouse parts do, however, when it comes to schematics, i am lost. sorry,
I think we all understand, monk... :P

Get Your Ad Here