Author Topic: Axon's microcontroler Society of Robots: OS and compilation?  (Read 2692 times)

Offline denis.beuriveTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Hello!

I develop under Linux (using C or C++) since more than 15 years. But I am a beginner in microcontrolers. I always used standard Linux distribution (Debian, RedHat,...), on "full featured" computer.

I discovered the "Axon's microcontroler Society of Robots" (http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon/). I read the documentation, but I am not sure to understand everything. I still have questions.

Questions 1:

What kind of operating system is running on this hardware?

The FAQ says :

Can I use Mac or Linux?
The bootloader is not directly Linux/Mac compatible. To learn more about programming with a Mac, check out this forum post and this one too. You could use a Windows emulator like wine or dosbox. You could also use an external hardware programmer for programming - please see the FAQ on how to upload code with a programmer. Finally, a new FBOOT version for OS X and Linux.

I understand that it is possible to run Linux, but Linux is not the default operating system. Is it correct? If so, then, what is the default operating system?

Is it possible to run Embedded Debian? (http://www.emdebian.org/)

Questions 2:

I am very interested in a specific device : http://www.xsens.com/en/general/mti-g

This device comes with a C++ code that can be compiled under Linux (http://www.xsens.com/en/faq/items/2-industrial-applications/38-are-the-mtimtx-and-mti-g-compatible-with-linux).

Note : I will contact XSENS to know if the C++ code they provide compiles under *embedded* Linux.

OK. But still wonder: Is it a good idea to think that I could use this kind of microcontroler for this kind of device? (I have no idea about what I can do with this tiny mother boards).

Thank you very much! And apologize for my English (which may not be perfect).

Denis

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
Re: Axon's microcontroler Society of Robots: OS and compilation?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 05:12:42 PM »
Hi Denis !

1) No operating system is running on the microcontroller. You control everything, with the help of libraries like avrlibc and webbot lib.

2) According to the spec, it can be accessed through rs232 (com port). With a little bit of electronic for interfacing, the Axon should be able to control it.

Chelmi.

Offline denis.beuriveTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 02:27:20 AM »
Hello Chelmi,

Thank you very much for your answer. This is interesting. But I was looking for something more "familiar". Something that looks like an operating system.

Indeed, my goal is creation, not technique. I am looking for the easiest, and quickest, way to reach a creative objective. Real mother boards, with real operating systems, are heavier, greedier, and more expensive. But they are also more comfortable.

I found some mother boards:

The Roboard seems to be the "easiest" tool. If I can build something interesting, then I may optimize it, using microcontrolers, instead of greedy systems.

Best regards,

Denis

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 07:42:02 AM »
There isn't any real reason to have an operating system on a robot - its like giving your speakers or your monitor an operating system. Would you give your car an operating system?

Having an OS doesn't make it easier - a supporting community, sample code, and good tutorials/manual is what makes it easy :P

(yes, there are some exceptions, but I'm speaking in general terms)

As for about using Linux . . . you write the program on your Linux computer, then just upload it to your mcu.

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »
There isn't any real reason to have an operating system on a robot - its like giving your speakers or your monitor an operating system. Would you give your car an operating system?

It really depends on the size and complexity of the robot. Many Mars rovers use an OS for instance (VxWorks).

Get Your Ad Here