go away spammer

Author Topic: Current question  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Nick_12Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Current question
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:10:47 AM »
I'm in my science olypiad for my school and we are making a robotic arm and I am in charge of the movement and I have some questions about current consumption.  For our robotic arm we are going to make the arm like a tower crane and I was wonder if any of the motors would pull more than one amp of current? if anyone has any questions let me know. plz and thank you

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Current question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 02:15:08 AM »
Hi,

[...] For our robotic arm we are going to make the arm like a tower crane and I was wonder if any of the motors would pull more than one amp of current?
You're kidding right?

It depends on all the parameters you didn't mention, like the load on each motor and the voltage used.
1A at 12V is 12W
0.1A at 120V is also 12W and as such, can perform the same work.

if anyone has any questions let me know. plz and thank you
Nah, it's you who's got questions - you supply us with a suitable amount of data, if you want a usable answer.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Nick_12Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 11:10:37 AM »
Thanks for the response and I dont know the load thats going to be on the motors is there a way to test the load? i think thts a more strait forward question.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 05:02:33 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the response and I dont know the load thats going to be on the motors is there a way to test the load? i think thts a more strait forward question.
Sure, just put it on a scale (the load) for starters.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here