Electronics > Electronics

Boost Regulator with microcontroller

(1/3) > >>

timmmmeh:
Hi guys, I need some help with my circuitry.  For my project I am working on controlling a linear actuator.  The actuator needs 12V and 3amps to run at its max speed.  However, the HC12 microcontroller only supplies 5Volts (not sure about the amoutn of current).  Anyway, I was thinking about using a boost regulator circuit but then that would limit my current.  Is there a better and more efficient way to step up the voltage and current so i can control teh actuator through the microcontroller?  Thank you in advance for any help.   

robot321:
Have the micro controller drive a relay which has the current you require.

dunk:
sounds like you need a mosfet:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/electronics_advanced_components_tutorial.shtml#mosfet

mosfets are fine for a simple on/off but if you want controll of a motor forwards/stop/backwards you might want to look for a motor controller ICs. motor controllers are made from several mosfets.
try doing a few searches for "mosfet" and "motor controller".

dunk.

timmmmeh:
I am using the microcontroller to control to control the direction and speed (PID controller) of the actuator.  Does anyone know how I can go about stepping up the 5volts from the microcontroller to 12Volts and have about 3amps?  Also, are these motor controller ICs just H-bridges and transistors because they seem quite expensive. 

Admin:

--- Quote ---I am using the microcontroller to control to control the direction and speed (PID controller) of the actuator.  Does anyone know how I can go about stepping up the 5volts from the microcontroller to 12Volts and have about 3amps?
--- End quote ---
What you actually want to do is use a ~12V battery to power your motors, and then step that down with a voltage regulator or switching regulator. You can also use two different batteries - a 6V for your microcontroller and a 12V for your motors. I say 6V because you should always use a 5V regulator with your microcontroller.

--- Quote ---Also, are these motor controller ICs just H-bridges and transistors because they seem quite expensive.
--- End quote ---
yeap. i think the prices will come down a lot in the next 5 years . . . they are way cheaper now then when i first started making robots!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version