Author Topic: buying all the electronics  (Read 1579 times)

Offline morgmorgTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
buying all the electronics
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:36:20 PM »
Can you buy all the electronics you need on amazon? And do you want a 328 micro-controller or just an atmega 8?

Offline Mastermime

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: buying all the electronics
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 03:14:25 PM »
I don't know.  What electronics do you need?  Look each one up and see if they have it.  we aren't going to do that for you.  I buy all my parts from Digikey and Ebay.  But we need more information

And do you want a 328 micro-controller or just an atmega 8?

We need a lot more information to answer this.  Whats the application? 

Offline morgmorgTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 06:05:10 PM »
for now something simple like 50 dollar robot but eventually something with multiple servos and sensors.
i also need to get all the parts

Offline Mastermime

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 10:30:45 PM »
I'd go Ebay then.  You can probably use Amazon if you want.

If you're going to be using sensors in the future, i recommend buyig an Arduino or Axon.  You will be able to use that for multiple projects and its a lot easier to get started with rather than an microcontroller chip
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:52:33 PM by Mastermime »

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »
You can't really expect to buy parts and re-use for projects forever. While learning, a solderless breadboard and re-used parts are great, but for real projects, the parts are pretty much consumed by the project.

You *can* buy various part kits on Amazon, and a box of resistors and a box of LEDs might be a good investment, but most projects need more specific parts, too. I generally save up my needs on a list, and then place an order with Digi-Key once every 2 months or so. That way, the postage ($5-$7 for first class mail) ends up amortizing over a whole number of parts. Digi-key is great for "raw" components -- MOSFET transistors, Atmega328p microcontrollers, specific value capacitors both ceramic and electrolytic, etc. And when you buy one of something, you typically want to buy three, because you'll destroy the first one when building, and the second one will burn out while debugging :-)

Note that a "raw" microcontroller also needs some way to program it, as they don't come with nice serial boot loaders like an Arduino. A decent AVR programmer can be had for under $20 from places like SparkFun or Adafruit.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list