go away spammer

Author Topic: $50 Robot tutorial Pony Prog And AVR studio 4 problems  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Melcin PowellTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
$50 Robot tutorial Pony Prog And AVR studio 4 problems
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:05:55 PM »
I have looked at tons of other post but still i can't seem to find the answer to my question. I am using the AVR STK Serial Port Dongle Programmer but when i try and use pony prog to transfer data i get this "error communication port not available (-16)" what does this mean and how can i fix this? Also how do i upload the .hex file to modify the servos i copied the code from the link put it in notepad and changed the extension to ".hex" im not sure if thats what i am suppose to do.  Instead of Pony Prog do i use Studio 4?

Also i wasn't able to tell when i looked at it but how many pins does the AVR ISP2 Programmer have?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:12:26 PM by Melcin Powell »

Offline dmclifton

• Helpful? 1
Re: $50 Robot tutorial Pony Prog And AVR studio 4 problems
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 08:51:33 PM »
You do not take the code, rename to hex and run - hex is what you get after you compile, so you need to compile the code which will generate a .hex file that you then use to upload the program.

To do this, walk through the steps in the robot tutorial around using AVR Studio - you should have created a project directory. Then downloaded the zip file and unzipped it in the directory you created in AVR Studio. You should then add the files it lists in the guide the way it lists them in the guide, and then you should go to build -> rebuild all. This process will generate the .hex file you need in the same directory where you unzipped the files.

Pony Prog then is what you use to upload the hex file you made in AVR Studio to the controller - so it is not a matter of using one program or the other, you use AVR Studio to build the hex file then you use pony prog to upload it.

It sounds like your Pony Prog is not configured correctly as well, but I have never used it so cannot help there.

Offline Melcin PowellTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 08:40:21 PM »
Right i did those steps to create a hex file for the photovore project but how do i get the hex file to the modify servos? Also anyone with knowledge of PonyProg tell me what i did wrong?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:17:19 PM by Melcin Powell »

Offline rabadswompe

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 05:29:53 AM »
the hold_servo.hex download is already a .hex no nreed to "build"

I just put in on the computer, created the project, selected it ( a window with lost of gree number chains appeared.), I then connected the AVR ISP Mk2 and uploadded it.
Servos, that I had open previously, started to spin immidiatly. Was easy enough to turn the pots to stop them, put a drop of super glue on each, modify the mechanical stops on the 2 gears while waiting, then go back to cut the "tab" on the pots flush to the "cylinder shape and fiinally reassemble.

Offline dmclifton

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 06:42:21 AM »
the hold_servo.hex download is already a .hex no nreed to "build"

I just put in on the computer, created the project, selected it ( a window with lost of gree number chains appeared.), I then connected the AVR ISP Mk2 and uploadded it.
Servos, that I had open previously, started to spin immidiatly. Was easy enough to turn the pots to stop them, put a drop of super glue on each, modify the mechanical stops on the 2 gears while waiting, then go back to cut the "tab" on the pots flush to the "cylinder shape and fiinally reassemble.

Unfortunately he has ponyprog and is using a serial port, so not using the AVR Studio connect stuff. It looks like you have the wrong COM port selected and need to switch it, but like I said - I know nothing about ponyprog.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list