go away spammer

Author Topic: need some advise and suggestion  (Read 3810 times)

Offline ainTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
need some advise and suggestion
« on: October 30, 2008, 09:22:42 PM »
hi everyone...
i'm beginner in this robotics field and this is my first project. i have to design a robot manipulator which is hand comprising 2 fingers and a thumb with 2 degrees of freedom using air muscle. then, in my project, the motor controller is not needed, however through the use of encoder, the position of the robot could be determined and the force of the air muscle could be calculated. hopefully, all of you guys can help me with some advise and suggestion about my project. thanks a lot.. :).. :)

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
Re: need some advise and suggestion
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 10:00:17 PM »
Don't want much then?!

Perhaps you should tell us how YOU are going to do it - and then ask some more targeted and specific questions?

I'll always try to help those who try to help themselves.
Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 01:43:45 PM »
You're new to the robotics field and you're making a force-controlled pneumatic gripper.  Wow!

Offline hudbrog

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 02:01:10 PM »
Never worked with "air muscles", but I know that it is damn hard to control pneumatic actuators and air overall. It is easy to get it to fully stretched or fully collapsed position, but almsot impossible to get something in between. Sure you can pump some air into actuator, but depending on external force applied to it actuator will stretch differently. And in general you can't predict how much it will stretch with given amount of air.
So... better forget about pneumatics for such projects.

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 04:33:05 PM »
So lets see if I'm reading this right you've designed this and havent started anything? You know what the admin. says DONT plan big for your first project and one reason is you can waste money buying a lot of stuff but whatever you choose good luck....
And idk if I would use pnematics sounds like a servo could handle the job just fine
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 11:07:00 PM »
ain, I agree with and recommend all the comments above 100%.

That being said, the first step would be to look around the web for parts. Find some pneumatic actuators, then an air compressor. Those components alone will probably cost you about ~$300 (I'm not sure what your budget is). Note that the ultra cheap small air compressors are known to be annoyingly loud.

Also, draw up some detailed designs that include every screw, etc.

After you complete those steps, report your progress here and we can offer more advice.

Get Your Ad Here