Author Topic: NEW to robots need assistance.  (Read 6543 times)

Offline tpi008Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
NEW to robots need assistance.
« on: March 26, 2008, 05:27:15 PM »
hi,

i'm pretty much new into robotics. I'm planning on building a robot and need some help. i have some items i can whip up to the list for the creation. I've got a bunch of vacuum cleaners i want to disassemble from to get the motors. I have a Pocket PC and Wifi connection. Not to mention  a laptop that is a pen tablet i'm willing to add to the project. If anyone is willing to help I will give more details. Thanks in advance.

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
Re: NEW to robots need assistance.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 05:32:26 PM »
what exactly do you want your robot to do?
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 06:04:22 PM »
pretty much the basic...security & monitoring..then upgrade or move on to whatever i learn along the way. All I know is I want it bluetooth and Wifi enabled with skype capaibilty & voice commands. I have alot of normal motors to spair from mini vacs and blow dryers. I have an HTC Universal Pocket PC Phone. And a laptop. I want it to mainly go up and down my stair case at my home. mainly thats all i can think of for now. And i also want it to have controller/joystick/gamepad etc. capability. oh and also control via anywhere on the net with a user login and stuff. one that is a track platform with tracks 3 layers of it so it can go up the stairs. i have digital cameras and stuff as well. All i need is a little guid in the bridging and programing and softwhere part. along with some help to get some parts that i need. if you can help i can provide you with my skype ID and perhaps you can help me via real time. thanks

Offline cooldog

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • be nice to nerds, one day they will be your boss
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 07:18:11 PM »
I'm pretty much new into robotics.

dude try something easier that is way to hard
robot will rule the world and i will be building them
-admin

favorite web sites
http://www.societyofrobots.com/
http://www.instructables.com/

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 07:20:02 PM »
let's start with the basics? then i will develope further. Can you help me?

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 08:39:06 PM »
let's start with the basics? then i will develope further. Can you help me?

http://www.societyofrobots.com/
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline advanced_beginner

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 09:15:48 PM »
Okay, here we go:

You have a PocketPC and Wifi, so for that to work you're going to need to get some kind of interface between 1) the robot  and 2) the main computer.
This basically means that the PPC will act as a link, and you will have to find a way to connect that to some motor drivers. You will also have to have some kind of software interface to send commands to the PPC.

Just to do the above, you would have to be an advanced programmer and know the works...

Next, a robot would have to have a frame, power supply, and accessories to go along with all of that stuff. To use motors from your "mini vacs and blow dryers", you would have to have some kind of speed reduction; at that their current speed, they would have too low torque and too high speed.

The main problem would be interfacing and connecting all of these things together; if you can't do this, then you might as well find somewhere else to start...

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 09:49:28 PM »
I'm willing to take pictures of the motor and show it to you guys if you ask me.

I just took apart one of the mini vac from eureka called "copperhead. The motor is pretty big and it doesn't have the shell on it. I can see the core. It look very robust and is somewhat heavy. Someone please tell me I can use this motor cause there's more of these where it came from. If I can use this I can take apart 3 more of these for the wheels.
I can also take apart of bunch of blow dryers which are  abit smaller.

If you don't recommend this then where should I get the motor from?
kind of on a really low budget so I rather recycle what I have.

By the way, can i do anything with a lazer(red beam)?

Okay, here we go:

You have a PocketPC and Wifi, so for that to work you're going to need to get some kind of interface between 1) the robot  and 2) the main computer.
This basically means that the PPC will act as a link, and you will have to find a way to connect that to some motor drivers. You will also have to have some kind of software interface to send commands to the PPC.

Just to do the above, you would have to be an advanced programmer and know the works...

Next, a robot would have to have a frame, power supply, and accessories to go along with all of that stuff. To use motors from your "mini vacs and blow dryers", you would have to have some kind of speed reduction; at that their current speed, they would have too low torque and too high speed.

The main problem would be interfacing and connecting all of these things together; if you can't do this, then you might as well find somewhere else to start...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 09:50:14 PM by tpi008 »

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 08:31:46 AM »
It would be really hard to use motors from vaccuums and blow dryers because they are so fast. Please tell us what your budget is. If it's really low, than pick an easier project.
Robots are awesome!

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 10:27:28 AM »
Kronos Robotics have some ways to use the PPC as a brain for your robot. They have a very nice project where they explain everything. This project is called Face Walker. http://www.kronosrobotics.com/Projects/FaceWalker.shtml
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 11:28:47 AM »
It would be really hard to use motors from vaccuums and blow dryers because they are so fast. Please tell us what your budget is. If it's really low, than pick an easier project.

budget is not really a factor for what i want to do with my robot. but lets say somewhere around 500 bucks. I've already got alot of the hardwares. I just need the parts for the robot and work on the motors. in the aspect of computer hardwares.. i think i have that covered. I just need to work on the robot aspect. will take apart a drill or a sanding machine and getting the motor from there work?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 11:32:14 AM »
that is a great suggestion... thats something i have thought about and would highly consider. I am serious about this project and will be posting up images during my construction of the robot.
any help offered would be greatly appreciated.

Kronos Robotics have some ways to use the PPC as a brain for your robot. They have a very nice project where they explain everything. This project is called Face Walker. http://www.kronosrobotics.com/Projects/FaceWalker.shtml

Offline kd5kfl

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 11:58:30 AM »
In no particular order:
electronics
computers
video
networks
machining
drafting
Metal fabrication

If you know what's on TV every night of the week, you are in the wrong place

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 11:59:56 AM »
So I will get the parts to do the beginners tutorial and upgrade from that platform to what I have in mind. Thats after I completed the tutorial. However, After I finish this tutorial and have the basics down. I am planning to build a more complex robot. I am very SERIOUS about building a robot. So I'm sort of juggling the beginners tutorial with my other plan. I am just drawing up plans for it. The main purpose of it is for surveillance/monitoring/security purposes, I will upgrade secondary purposes for the robot as I get better. I have most of the vital hardwares and will be listing what I will sacrifice for my robot unit. So I will start here with this list and hopefully someone can help me with ideas/suggestions/advice etc. And perhaps tell me what I need in addition to what I already have. So I will list what I have now & updates will be followed up.

List:

A 47" Inches Westinghouse LCD TV Monitor HDTV compatible with 1080 p.

Toshiba Pen Tablet (PC - Windows Tablet Edition)

SONY 3CCD Digital Camcorder w/ wide angle lense, (I want to be able to mount it on my robot whenever I want to have it pan tilt rotate and zoom, this camera is professional studio camera with industrial features)

iMate - Jasjar (Pocket PC Phone)(original known as the HTC Universal) Bluetooth enabled and also have 2 internal cameras.

Wifi Connection - FiOS host.

A bunch of Eureka mini vac motors (which I am apparent are no used) - (any suggestion on what I can do with these motors other than trashing them?)
A bunch of hair blow dryer motors (which I am apparent are no used)

Wires/Cables/Networks cables etc.

Whatever else I have that haven't been listed will be updated when I am made aware of.

Need to Get List: N/A

?

In progress:

I'm in the process of taking apart a chargable hand drill  to obtain the motor. I was told that the drills have motors with gears.

Your cooperation is appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 01:33:43 AM by tpi008 »

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 12:04:55 PM »
In no particular order:

electronics - Need Attention (I got some parts.)
computers - Check
video - Check
networks - Check
machining - Need Attention
drafting - Need Attention I'm a graphic designer so I have some sort of coverage in this aspect.
Metal fabrication - Need Attention

If you know what's on TV every night of the week, you are in the wrong place

in your qoute, I will check off what I already have covered.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:11:05 PM by tpi008 »

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 12:09:47 PM »
I think I can try to manage. I'm pretty familiar with technology so I have faith. I'm familiar with some web coding so is a small advantage. And I'm also familiar with graphic design so the design factor is covered. I just need some guidance. I will work on the noob tutorial first them evolve from there. I personally feel that noobie project is a little too simple for me. But for the respect of everyone, I will go through it before anything else. Cause I'm pretty much aware that experience takes work.

I'm pretty much new into robotics.

dude try something easier that is way to hard

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 12:18:46 PM »
I was wondering if CPU fans are good for anything?

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 06:27:03 PM »
I was wondering if CPU fans are good for anything?

I use one to blow away the smoke from soldering. (poisonous)
That's pretty much the only application that has anything to do with robotics imho
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 10:14:22 PM »
Trade in all that stuff for a soldering iron, solder, hook up wire, resistors, capacitors, perf board, servos etc
Do the noobie project!! Feel what its like to burn off your fingerprints with a soldering iron.
Feel good.
Give it the designer IMac look'n'feel.

Then try to work out how to stick that big screen on the front ! Think it may give you the new apple wafer-thin look depending on how strong your axles are!  :o

Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 01:34:53 AM »
Trade in all that stuff for a soldering iron, solder, hook up wire, resistors, capacitors, perf board, servos etc
Do the noobie project!! Feel what its like to burn off your fingerprints with a soldering iron.
Feel good.
Give it the designer IMac look'n'feel.

Then try to work out how to stick that big screen on the front ! Think it may give you the new apple wafer-thin look depending on how strong your axles are!  :o

How do I trade these things?

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 06:29:40 AM »
dude...
sell them and buy the stuff....
seriously.
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 12:52:06 PM »
I am ultimately building one... but I'm balancing on a tight budget so it will take some time to trade for parts.

List update: 04-01-08

List:
1 - Clear LED
1 - Light Blue LED
-----
___

SONY 3CCD Digital Camcorder w/ wide angle lense, (I want to be able to mount it on my robot whenever I want to have it pan tilt rotate and zoom, this camera is professional studio camera with industrial features)

iMate - Jasjar (Pocket PC Phone)(original known as the HTC Universal) Bluetooth enabled and also have 2 internal cameras.

A bunch of Eureka mini vac motors (which I am apparent are no used) - (any suggestion on what I can do with these motors other than trashing them?)

Whatever else I have that haven't been listed will be updated when I am made aware of.

Need to Get List: N/A (Your INPUT/Suggestions/Ideas on building a list of parts would be greatly appreciated)

So I will get the parts to do the beginners tutorial and upgrade from that platform to what I have in mind. Thats after I completed the tutorial. However, After I finish this tutorial and have the basics down. I am planning to build a more complex robot. I am very SERIOUS about building a robot. So I'm sort of juggling the beginners tutorial with my other plan. I am just drawing up plans for it. The main purpose of it is for surveillance/monitoring/security purposes, I will upgrade secondary purposes for the robot as I get better. I have most of the vital hardwares and will be listing what I will sacrifice for my robot unit. So I will start here with this list and hopefully someone can help me with ideas/suggestions/advice etc. And perhaps tell me what I need in addition to what I already have. So I will list what I have now & updates will be followed up.

List:

Need to Get List: N/A

?

In progress:

I'm in the process of taking apart a chargable hand drill  to obtain the motor. I was told that the drills have motors with gears.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 10:42:56 AM »
tpi008, I really think you should take everyone's advice to keep things simpler.

You admitted to being a beginner, so don't try to do the expert level stuff first.

Get the basics working, then attempt to add on the harder stuff. And read all my tutorials first . . .

Get Your Ad Here