go away spammer

Author Topic: adding solaris 10 to grub bootloader  (Read 1611 times)

Offline blackbeardTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
adding solaris 10 to grub bootloader
« on: October 24, 2009, 08:05:25 AM »
so i need to install solaris since i use ubuntu and it's not supported for my altera de1. i got the solaris install for free in the mail a while back and since the altera boards supports only windows, red hat and solaris i'm going to give solaris a try. so what's the trick to adding it to the boot loader? also how much should i make for the partition for solaris 10? is there any way i can delete the grub boot loader and add a better one?

edit: also i downloaded opensolaris. is that any better?

double edit: this is a laptop. r i stoopid for installing unix on a laptop?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:11:42 AM by blackbeard »
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
Re: adding solaris 10 to grub bootloader
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 01:49:32 PM »
I would suggest to use virtualbox: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox
Basically it allows you to run solaris (or windows,  or linux) on top of your existing OS (ubuntu in this case). The installation
of virtualbox takes ~ 10 min in ubuntu, and then you have to install the OS in the virtual machine. Performances are great,
especially for computation intensive stuff like hardware synthesis (instruction are executed natively by the machine, there is no emulation).

This as many advantages: you cannot screw up your partition, you can switch between your host os and the virtual machine seamlessly and the virtual machine take only what it needs (in term of disk space).

Hope this helps.

To answer your original questions, search in a solaris related forum. And it's not stupid to install a Unix a laptop: MacOSX and Linux are both "unix" OS.

Chelmi.

Offline blackbeardTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
Re: adding solaris 10 to grub bootloader
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 04:13:15 PM »
well i actually managed to get it to work. it was a bit of a pain though
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Get Your Ad Here

data_list