Author Topic: Atmega8 undetected in PonyProg  (Read 3092 times)

Offline praveen_khmTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
    • Robot Platform
Atmega8 undetected in PonyProg
« on: April 20, 2011, 01:37:39 AM »
Hi,

I guess I successfully spoiled an Atmega8. All I did was to connect LCD module (16x4 display) to print A2D conversion value. It worked fair enough and then there were problems of displaying unknown characters. Finally yesterday it stopped responding and ponyprog says "device missed or unknown". Is there any way to get it back to life? Tried other mcu's and they work perfectly though..

Discussed this at avrfreaks: http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=105894&postdays=0&postorder=asc and still waiting for a solid response to get it back to life.

Has anyone encountered an issue like this before? Or is there a better way to get it to work without using those not-so-cheap programmers?
Robot building is all about sharing and learning
-------------------------------------------
www.robotplatform.com : Beginners guide to Electronics & Robotics

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Atmega8 undetected in PonyProg
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 08:23:09 AM »
Hi,

Don't just link to some other place, at least cut and paste it here. If you don't bother, why should anyone else?

Pop in a new controller and see if you can get the same error. It's amazing how many people are wasting hours and hours without trying a new controller - it sounds to me like the one you have is suffering a strange kind of latch up - perhaps an ESD damage.

So... New controller, then report back.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Conscripted

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 10
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:29:32 PM »
Tried other mcu's and they work perfectly though..

As you said I believe he solved it himself.

• Helpful? 1
    • Robot Platform
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 01:59:25 AM »
Don't just link to some other place, at least cut and paste it here. If you don't bother, why should anyone else?
The intention was not to copy and paste the entire stuff. I have already explained the problem in this post. The link was to avoid comments on cross post. Again, pasting the entire post from there to here would take up two full pages which might turn worthless.

Anyways, getting back to the point; I have plugged in a new one and it is working perfectly fine (as already mentioned). But wanted to know if there is any way to give life to the old one, or if anyone have encountered similar problem before and found a solution. (Did not want to destroy another one).

it sounds to me like the one you have is suffering a strange kind of latch up - perhaps an ESD damage
This means I should stop thinking about the dead one. Thanks for your response.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 06:05:51 AM »
Hi,

I have plugged in a new one and it is working perfectly fine (as already mentioned). But wanted to know if there is any way to give life to the old one, or if anyone have encountered similar problem before and found a solution. (Did not want to destroy another one).
When a chip behaves erratically, the only sensible thing is to bin it, to avoid pulling out hair in frustration, trying to debug something that is in reality a hardware failure.

It is unrepairable and if the silicon was studied in a microscope, breaks or semi-breaks would probably be found.

To avoid this in the future, take proper ESD precautions when handling the chips and don't store them in non-conductive material where they have room to slide around. A standard IC-tube where  some of the chips are missing, so the rest can slide back and forth (which make some people do exactly that as a subconscious act), can actually generate quite some ESD, if the tubes are not the type made of conductive plastic (or at least with a strip of that each side).

The pink anti-static bags can actually generate a (small) amount of static electricity, if components are shaken around inside them and they're the least dissipative of all the antistatic materials - mostly good for bleeding off accumulated charges that may happen in "free air". Next up is the static dissipative types and best is the direct conductive types (like the black bags some components are delivered in - save any you get for storing chips and MOSFETs)
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 1
    • Robot Platform
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 07:48:58 AM »
Thanks Soren.

I guess this means a lot now  ">>> Whatever Works... Works <<<" ;) after reading your post.