Electronics > Electronics

Anyone ever use a SpeakJet speech chip?

<< < (2/3) > >>

blackbeard:
you'll be my hero if you make it sing daisybell

Soeren:
Hi,

--- Quote from: madsci1016 on August 05, 2010, 06:25:47 AM ---[...] it seems to just be a program that has a lookup table, and is limited to the words in that table. I looked through the table and couldn't find words like 'battery'.

--- End quote ---
Since it's an allophone generator, you should be able to add the words you need.
To get the right sound (i.e. not like a chimp speaking Inuit), you start with the 72 allophones and then shape the word with pitch, rate bend and volume - might take some time, especially if you are not accustomed to dealing with all  these elements of speech, but it's worth getting it all under control, as it will be much easier to understand in noise, or to someone with a mild (or worse) hearing loss.

madsci1016:
Soeren, do you have any links to tutorials or how-to's on how to do that? I have zero experience. 

Webbot:
Got mine from these guys http://www.speechchips.com/shop/ and they were very helpful.
If you look at the datasheets on their site, Madscii, then you should glean more.

Other technique is to use a SOMO14D to play back words/phrases of your own voice that you've recorded onto a sdCard.

Soeren:
Hi,

--- Quote from: madsci1016 on August 05, 2010, 11:12:22 AM ---Soeren, do you have any links to tutorials or how-to's on how to do that? I have zero experience. 

--- End quote ---
Sorry, but no links. I'd suggest playing with it a bit for starters, to see if it's something you'd have fun with, or if you find it a boring task. I assume the datasheet gives the needed info on controlling the beast and when you need something about allophones etc. look up pages from speech therapists, linguists and audiology papers (PubMed is an excellent source here, but Google will find a lot too).
It's either something that you'll find exciting or the exact opposite - there's usually no intermediate here.

I personally find it fun and very educating playing around with the "components of speech", but I have worked the field and did a fair bit of research in my spare time, just because I found it exciting (even simple things like eg. the difference of the sounds "Aaa" and "Mmm" is just a single narrow band apart, which really makes it difficult to discern different words if you just have a few narrow bands of damaged hair cells).

But... I know some people find it more way exciting to watch paint dry, so you be the judge.

If I remember and get the time tomorrow, I'll take a glance at the datasheet and see if I can give you some starting pointers - If I forget, just give me a nudge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version