Author Topic: motors  (Read 2673 times)

Offline BuddingContraptionistTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
motors
« on: November 20, 2008, 06:36:51 PM »
i think i want to make a wheeled contraption... where can i buy good robot motors?  I found this motor at sparkfun, which nicely matches this gearbox.  But that's the only motor and the only gearbox they sell.  Where is a good place for motors?  (and on a semi-related where-do-i-find-this-stuff note, anyone know where i can find one of these JST connectors for the sharp IR range finder? i got a rangefinder but forgot to get that cable and i dont want to order just one thing all the way from canada)

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: motors
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 07:35:31 PM »
Robots are awesome!

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 08:52:45 PM »
(and on a semi-related where-do-i-find-this-stuff note, anyone know where i can find one of these JST connectors for the sharp IR range finder? i got a rangefinder but forgot to get that cable and i dont want to order just one thing all the way from canada)
See other forum posts re connecting directly to the sensor without using a connector
Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

Offline BuddingContraptionistTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 07:11:51 PM »
is it bad for a motor to run it at a lower voltage than it's rated at?  like if i get one that's 12v, but use a 9v battery to run it?

paulstreats

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:15:54 AM »
solarbotics sell lots of different motors, many with gearheads already attached

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 10:19:32 AM »
is it bad for a motor to run it at a lower voltage than it's rated at?  like if i get one that's 12v, but use a 9v battery to run it?

No problem for a DC motor.  Reducing and increasing the DC voltage is exactly how speed control is attained.  So running a 12V motor at 9V just means that it will run slower with less torque.
Given that, let me say that running a motor with a 9V battery will drain that battery very quickly unless that motor is really small.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 01:01:12 AM »
Running a motor at a lower voltage won't break anything, but as ArcMan said, it will have lower torque/speed.

Reducing and increasing the DC voltage is exactly how speed control is attained.  So running a 12V motor at 9V just means that it will run slower with less torque.
Given that, let me say that running a motor with a 9V battery will drain that battery very quickly unless that motor is really small.
A motor is most efficient at the rated voltage - meaning a higher torque/joule ratio. So less wasted battery energy, basically.

But the proper way to control motor speed is through PWM, which is like turning the motor on/off really fast so that it reaches some medium speed.

Get Your Ad Here