Author Topic: Precise Distance Sensor - No Line of Sight  (Read 1688 times)

Offline BS235Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Precise Distance Sensor - No Line of Sight
« on: March 26, 2013, 10:04:29 AM »
I'm wondering what the best approach for this is.  I'm looking for a distance sensor to readout the precise distance within a few inches of a beacon or sensor without line of sight.  For example, if I were to give my friend the sensor(in his pocket) in a crowded mall and have him walk away, it would tell me his exact distance from the receiver.  The accuracy can be +/- a few inches and the max range can be under 200ft. 
Thanks!

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Precise Distance Sensor - No Line of Sight
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 07:52:15 PM »
From what I've researched, this is possible with high-frequency RFID solutions, but the receivers are pretty expensive. You want the UHF, 800-950 MHz or so, units. The cheaper 125 kHz and 13 MHz units don't have localization capabilities for technical reasons AFAICT.
The cheapest in-stock hit I got on DigiKey for an UHF receiver was something like this: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SM-M9-MH-3.4-00D7-T0/753-1015-ND/1679645 but that seems to only do medium-field reading (3.5 meters.)

Another option is to use a small GPS module, and a small mobile phone transponder, to get the position fix to whatever the receiver is :-)

Offline BS235Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 11:51:14 PM »
Very helpful, thanks!

Offline tarek zidan

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 07:03:32 AM »
Every day there are a new versions of robots,Here you are the latest robots with their uses at:
http://www.pouted.com/7-newest-robots-generations-uses/

Get Your Ad Here