go away spammer

Author Topic: Eagle ratsnet issue  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Jak24Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Eagle ratsnet issue
« on: March 02, 2013, 02:33:33 PM »
Hi!

While using the new version of eagle I realized when I make a common ground plane It connects to vias like this:
http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u639/warmthofwinter/eagle1_zpsdc5f9a84.png
What should I change so it completely covers it?

Thanks
Regards

Offline ErikY

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Eagle ratsnet issue
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 03:49:43 PM »
Are your vias named GND?

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »
I believe those are "thermals." If you turn off "thermals" then you'll probably get what you want. But your board will possibly have other problems as it's actually being used.

Best is to make the line size of the polygon pour fairly thick. The draw-back of that is that then it won't actually snake its way through narrow openings.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 08:06:04 PM »
Thermals make it easier to solder components onto your board. Less metal means less heat drawn away from the joint. I find that thermals make soldering on voltage regulators way easier.

Offline Jak24Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 02:52:36 PM »
Thermals make it easier to solder components onto your board. Less metal means less heat drawn away from the joint. I find that thermals make soldering on voltage regulators way easier.
Is there an advantage for other components?
Wouldn't that decrease the amount of current that can go to that component?
I believe those are "thermals." If you turn off "thermals" then you'll probably get what you want. But your board will possibly have other problems as it's actually being used.

Best is to make the line size of the polygon pour fairly thick. The draw-back of that is that then it won't actually snake its way through narrow openings.

Turned it on and off, didn't work. Would I have to recreate the polygon for the thermals to disable?

Thanks

Regards

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 03:26:41 PM »
Is there an advantage for other components?
Wouldn't that decrease the amount of current that can go to that component?
An advantage to anything that could be hard to solder. If you are hand soldering it isn't a big deal, but really helps for mass production.

Less current, yes, but it can surely still handle more current than your component can. A thermal might bring it from 8A to 4A, but your voltage regulator can't handle more than 1A anyway so no biggie.

Turned it on and off, didn't work. Would I have to recreate the polygon for the thermals to disable?
I think you can just de-wire than re-wire the polygon and it'll work. I can't remember the exact terminology though, and too lazy to open Eagle to double-check. :P

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 07:53:30 PM »
Worst case, you delete the polygon and then re-create it. Although ripup followed by ratsnest typically re-generates the polygon copper layer, so that might be enough. I never turn off thermals, so I don't know the exact incantation that makes it different.

Get Your Ad Here