Electronics > Electronics

Connecting 6V Battery For Servos to Iteaduino

(1/3) > >>

SUTO the G:
Where to connect 6V Battery on Iteaduino Dev. Board? (I am guessing: to the +5V and GND pins but want to be sure!)

newInRobotics:
I guess not, because on the board it says +5V and battery is +6V. To power it You should use cylindrical connector at the corner of the board, from what I've seen it takes anything from +7V to +23V (don't take my word for it, check datasheet).

jwatte:
You connect the battery to the barrel connector, or to the "Vin" pin.

Unfortunately, a 6V battery is not going to work well, because the regulator on the Arduino boards has high drop-out (1.5V - 2.0V) so the minimum stable input voltage is 7V. Also, the battery voltage will drop with discharge.

Not all is lost! Get a 5V output step-up-down DC DC converter from Pololu, hook the battery to the input of that, and hook the output of that to the +5V connector, and you will be good to go. Additionally, this will let you use a variety of batteries, across their entire discharge cycle. (Don't over-discharge batteries if they are Lithium based, though; that destroys them)
The S7V7F5 can give you up to an amp of power, and is highly efficient, for $4.95: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2119

SUTO the G:
@newinrobotics So I only need one battery pack (7-23V)? I taught  I needed two! One for the Servos(4.8-6V) and one for the board (7-23V)! So I only need to power the board, lets say with a 9V battery and thats all? I can connect the servos to the VCC and they will get enough power?

newInRobotics:

--- Quote from: SUTO the G on March 06, 2013, 02:48:22 PM ---@newinrobotics So I only need one battery pack (7-23V)? I taught  I needed two! One for the Servos(4.8-6V) and one for the board (7-23V)! So I only need to power the board, lets say with a 9V battery and thats all? I can connect the servos to the VCC and they will get enough power?

--- End quote ---
Right, You can use as many battery packs as You want, however, maintaining many packs is more difficult than maintaining one. Don't connect Your servos to Vcc, as I believe, that is for electronics only (low power bus) and will get fried at higher currents. In Your case You can use separate power supplies or use one power supply together with voltage regulator for servos (preferably switching voltage regulator, as non-switching one will waste a lot of power as heat).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version